Any know how to make a blueprint

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by killstreak451, Feb 1, 2018.

1. killstreak451

killstreak451
    Expand Collapse

ok so in the future i want to create a standard atlas van ,however there is no blueprints for it.

so do any of you know how to make a blueprint for the van?
    i will give credits if you do and helping me make the van and test it.
    i found a walk around video here:

Attached Files:

• standardatlas.png
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

TBH, I don't really understand blueprints, for me they seem to make modeling kinda difficult. Of course I'm not a modeler, but I like to use just a box for outside dimensions and all kind of 'blocks' for measuring.

For example here is my transparent measuring tool / limiter, which I should be using more. When I do some ugly modeling, I use mirror modifier, so that I can have this transparent box there without it coming on my way, you see transparent box is transparent only when selected, which is kinda annoying, maybe there is way around it, but I haven't found such.
    upload_2018-2-1_12-31-30.png upload_2018-2-1_12-34-33.png

Then I make lot of cubes with certain measurement which I can use to check that features I place are at correct places, helps me as I don't have modeling skills.

But if you wish to have blueprints, then I recommend Power Point and just tracing it, draw box over your photo like this (you can also use custom shape tool):

upload_2018-2-1_12-39-23.png

Trick is Edit Points:
    upload_2018-2-1_12-38-27.png

Add as many points as you like, take your time and use a lot of that zoom at bottom right, I just made few points as an example. It is not much different from modeling, just 2 dimensions, also remember that you can use many objects and then combine them at the end, lines, circles, anything goes:
    upload_2018-2-1_12-45-23.png

At the end, you change your shape to have just black outline and paste to new slide, then add new object that is just white rectangle behind your outline, group them together and copy it to clipboard:
    upload_2018-2-1_12-48-54.png

Paste whole thing to Irfan View and save as PNG image:
    upload_2018-2-1_12-50-59.png

Of course you can use other programs too, but that is how I would proceed in making of blueprints.

Now handy part in Power Point is that you can have your self made blueprints scaled to any size you want and keep their dimensions between each other the same! (height, width).

I haven't used this though as for me they are more of disturbance, at the end I still have to eyeball or use measuring blocks to get accuracy, but that should work as far as I know and it should be possible to make blueprints without any talent at all.

3. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

I recommend watching this :)

4. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

If you model real cars in blender (like me) you will understand that the first sentence is a huge lie

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Can't see what good some blurry images with only outlines can be when you can have all the same data by measurements and reference photos. However people are different, some prefer box modeling, some use other means.

6. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

I really use blueprints for the shape, and I look for sometimes 30 to find a specific blueprints that is hihg quality

did i actually type hihg?

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You also typed "look for sometime 30" whatever that is :D

TBH, I can't do high poly models, I do just these kind of lowpoly things to train my brain to see where to put edges, but somehow I can't use blueprints to my benefit, so at the end I just eyeball things, measure and fix. Now this is just 5min example, I placed wheels first, to correct place and size, then just eyeballed rest. Next step would be measuring and fixing, then starting to refine the mess:
    upload_2018-2-2_14-33-10.png

Used just these two pics for that overall shape, underside, inside, topside, I do everything same way, but maybe that is why I suck so bad, anyway I think that when you know some feature being for example 700mm from some other feature, you just make cube/rectangle of that size, place that to work as guide and that way one can get things going without blueprints too.

upload_2018-2-2_14-33-33.png upload_2018-2-2_14-33-47.png

Anyway, I stumbled upon some tutorial about how to get blueprints using some weird software:
    https://www.thomasbaron.net/2011/05/modeling-without-blueprints-from-pictures/

8. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

So easy when you have reference images like that. I could only find a taken in motion low-res photo of my desired car. What really pisses me off is that my car is not some concept car or 50 year old supercar, but an early 2000s family commuter. Y NO BLUEPRINT????!!!!
    I didn't want to design my car from scratch, but just to edit the Pessima. With the help of that damn photo, my car turned out to be 30% Pessima, 60% my own f*ckup of a design and 10% what I wanted it to be.
    At least I found a good reference photo for the grille...
    WIP car, if you have a good knowledge of ordinary cars you might guess what I wanted to make
    screenshot_00817.png

9. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

30 minutes :eek:
    also you dont need blueprints if its your own design

10. Ewanc

Ewanc
    Expand Collapse

The difference between a photo and an ortho is important to note. Even the best photo is going to suffer from lens distortion; that translates to any modeling work being out of proportion by 5-10%. Keep that in mind while roughing out the shape with only a photo. On the other hand, most "blueprints" are just scans of the little decal guides that come with scale models. These cleverly obtained drawings are generally in better proportion, but don't trust them completely; they often lack important details and have many errors. Tip: I know someone who bought the scale model of a car he wanted to model, just so he could get the decal cheat sheet. He also took measurements of the suspension and other parts not published anywhere. You can get away with using either, but having both will give the best result.

For my helicopter, I used drawings to get the exact shape correct and reference photos to flesh out the body panel lines and other fine details that the drawing leaves out. I had to redo several parts after finding the drawings had botched details. The texture I used is 75% just a good photo that I cleaned up. There were considerable leaves flying in the air, but it was shot dead-on from the side so...

11. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

To make a good blueprint you really need to find an example of the car you want irl, and take zoomed in pics from afar from exactly the side, front, rear and top

naturally, this is not exactly easy nor possible for everyone to do, so the usual process when there is no blueprints is just to use photos off the net (and try to manually compensate for the perspective of the photos)

Given the car you want to model is not that complex shapewise, this should be easy to do with the images you have in the OP:)

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Blueprints will be off, almost always, you have to measure and compensate for them too. You can't see many of lines from blueprints, so you have to use photos and estimate anyway.

For example DMC 12 blueprints, download few of them and stack on top of each other, they won't match, none of blueprint seems to match to real car if you look blueprint and photos of the car side by side.

When making own blueprints, naturally one has to match each projection to each other and also check proportions by measuring, then adjusting to match measurements, but they still will be off.

Hence I have trouble seeing why to use blueprints in first place as you still have to measure constantly to get accurate result. Isn't it then same to start with a cube sized to dimensions and start adding edges to make shapes?

Known track width, wheel base, height, width, length, for example diameter of headlamp, making planes of those dimensions as well as other relative dimensions that can be derived from knowing those and using them to measure while doing model is only way I know to get accurate placement of lines.

But I guess with experience and better skills one can use blueprints better and maybe automatically compensate for errors in blueprints, same way one has to compensate lens effects of camera when looking photos.

However don't trust your blueprints too much, always check known dimensions by measuring your model.

Update: Often blueprints come from sales brochures etc. They are not very accurate, but one can do matching and then tracing, scaling of vector and checking they match after that to get bit better, however comparing to real photos blueprints might still be off, so trust measuring and eye, it is same when making blueprints from photos:
    upload_2018-2-4_12-50-10.png

Best matching I could come up with, you can see how some features are clearly drawn bit off, so if I would of make blueprints from this, those errors would need to be compensated of, at least when making model:
    upload_2018-2-4_13-17-53.png
    Front view might of needed rotating 0.8 degrees though, but I rotated it in blender for best inaccuracy possible :D
    And here we have perfectly blurry blueprints, which would be less blurry if I would have any interest of drawing them in Power Point so I could upscale them:
    upload_2018-2-4_13-40-14.png
    Still need to measure things like headlight height and width, windshield top and height, even those in theory can be seen from blueprints, same way those need to be measured if using photos.

It's perfect, ready to be uploaded into repo :p
    upload_2018-2-4_14-21-0.png

#12 fufsgfen, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice