Any good video editor?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by AllTerrainOutlaw, Apr 8, 2017.

1. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

So i've been editing videos with windows movie maker. Not too bad for a starter, but i need better. So far I need one that is similar or a slight watered down version of adobe premiere (i will be saving up for one). I tried filmora but it's completely falsely advertised.

And what is everyones opinion on using nvenc (nvidia's encoder) with obs. Obs kills my cpu but i hear nvence would make it better.

2. Username

Username
    Expand Collapse

What are you going to be editing? I've done a school project in WMM before (I normally use Sony Vegas 12).

3. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

youtube videos

Wmm doesnt support crop which would come in handy. I also would like some more features to try

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I don't think nvenc killed my CPU, but my GPU is bit slow so I use quick sync video instead. With intel iGPU something else to record might work better. I think that nvenc had bit poor quality when I tested it out, might of needed lot higher bitrate than quicksync or then I remember completely wrong.

Few editors mentioned there:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/help-with-videos.38001/

More about recording I think:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/good-screen-recorder-for-beamng.7975/

I posted some editors there:
    https://www.beamng.com/threads/tips-on-making-crash-compilation-videos.37291/

I download this and have used it once, it might be usable, just haven't had inspiration about fooling around in it:
    https://www.lwks.com/

Not sure if there should be centralized place about all different editors mentioned, might help some, I haven't seen much tutorials about video making in BeamNG either, so for someone skilled and bored there is something to do, I can barely record a video, sometimes even that fails.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Intel Quick sync is far better than NVENC at lower nitrates. (I stream at 1080/60p 8000kbps)

6. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

did i mention my cpu is an intel pentium g4400 dual core @3.30ghz

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Username

Username
    Expand Collapse

What FPS you normally get on Beam

8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I have come to conclusion that I don't have working video editor.

While Lightworks was best working and claimed being free, yesterday I started it for a long time and it says to give username and password so they issue new free license, it does not, just says no license available.

2nd best working is VSDC and if I don't use preview function it somewhat works, but messes up video when rendering, yesterday it made video to stop playing after 4 seconds and sound being way out of sync, sometimes it just messes image so that you can't tell what there is on screen.

Rest of editors work even worse, crashing, poor quality or just having video feed pause while audio runs, one just gives media offline error for videos on SSD while old version of that has worked better only rarely giving that error new one is not able to load H264 clips at all.

So I uploaded just raw recorded clip, where I wanted to make this UI to disappear so I would of cut around 1 second from beginning, nothing more, but none of software wanted to do the job.
    upload_2017-4-11_16-48-3.png

As many has seen, UI is not visible in YT video, because from some weird reason YT cut first 0.5 or so seconds from the video when I uploaded, but that annoying bling is still there:

For a guy like me who will never be able to make incredible cinematic videos, but who would like to share some informative or funny short clips, investing money to something like Sony video editor is bit too much, but then again none of the free ones seems to work at all, when cutting 1 second is causing already big issues to most free editors.

VirtualDub is still best for cutting a piece out, but preview does not work well, gets garbaged and does not update to position of the clip, so has to know the correct time where to cut. Also might leave 0.5-1second blank video to beginning, audio works during that time still.

Might be that H264 format is part of the issue, but recording anything else is really not possible because of size or CPU power required. So back to square one and still searching that editor that would allow me to cut few pieces of the clip.

Those are reasons why I upload only raw clips.

9. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I looked into Hitfilm Express, but downloading the thing is made so difficult that I gave up trying to figure out their site. (It might be also more failure in me than their site).

#9 fufsgfen, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  11. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

if im trying to run beamng with that wont it kill my fps or will it not touch the cores as much as stock obs?

I tried streaming with shadowplay but it kept shutting off and mostly will not sync with YT

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

QuickSync should use iGPU to compress, not CPU so it should not affect FPS a lot and should be light on cores.

13. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

Sony Vegas 13 Pro is what i use. It has a pretty good learning curve but when you learn it your videos look great.

#12 CaptanW, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  14. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, video editors are easier to get for free (arg, matey) instead of jumping through all the hoops on the way to finally installing it the 'right' way.
    For the record, I pay $19.99/month for Adobe Premiere and love the software.

#13 iheartmods, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  15. Matchbox201

Matchbox201
    Expand Collapse

Surprised nobody has mention Blender. Which actually has a pretty fully featured video editor(non-linear) comparable to software professionally used for movies.

16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I have heard about it before, but now I actually figured out how to find video editor in it, clearly need to read some guide/manual as I get only 4 seconds out from it and no idea how to export to file and format I desire, but must look into it, editing itself seems to be less bugged than most others.

17. Matchbox201

Matchbox201
    Expand Collapse

I just started with it myself (switching from WMM) - it has the usual Blender learning curve. ;) But it's definitely not lacking in features. A couple good tutorial videos out there to help get started.

Here's my setup for 1080pHD(adjust resolution to your recording resolution) output for YT videos, it was a little difficult to set up at first so hopefully this helps. It's way better output than I was getting with WMM. It seems very promising if I can learn the ropes - I am getting better. My last video had floating text lol.

Attached Files:

• settings_01.jpg
    • settings_02.jpg
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice