Any 3DS Max tutorials for car creation?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by BlueScreen, Apr 12, 2014.

1. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I found several Blender tutorials for modelling cars, but none for 3ds max. I know it's planar modelling, but googling that doesn't bring any proper tutorials either, and sculpting my car out of a box isn't proper modelling.

Secondary question, if anyone can find a picture of the underside of a 1979-1982 Mustang GT, I would appreciate it. It's the car I'm planning to make, and I can't find any pictures of the chassis...

#1 BlueScreen, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  2. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

it's best to start out with simple things before getting into vehicles, like ball's, and coffee mugs, and things like that

3. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I know, I just need to learn how to model stuff with planes instead of sculpting 3d shapes.

Also, I'm pretty sure a 1982 Mustang's body is pretty simple, it's a box on wheels. As for the chassis, I'd just use the Moonhawk's in the alpha versions. I wouldn't go with the car first though, I'd begin by modelling simpler things.

4. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Probably not a good idea to base it on the Moonhawk. The Moonhawk is body-on-frame, while the '82 Mustang is on the Fox platform, which is unibody.

5. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking that. I should base it on the Grand Marshal.

My biggest problem right now is that I can't find a single picture of the structure of the car, and I have no idea how it's actually built. I can't find blueprints either. So I guess I'll have to model it as accurately as possible by looking at pictures of the car...

- - - Updated - - -

I've finally found some pictures of the engine bay and stripped front and rear ends. Still no blueprint of the car...

#5 BlueScreen, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  6. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

I've been modeling a fox body Mustang for the past few months. I've been using my friends 90' Notch back as reference, but there are defiantly blue prints and diagrams out there. A good place to look is restoration manuals. They have tones of detailed diagrams of everything from undercarriage to interior. Also keep in mind there were a lot of cars built on the fox platform so you do not necessarily have to search for just the Mustang If you trying to get diagrams of the engine bay or under carriage. I'm sure there are also some free stuff online that could be good as a reference, I'll see if I can find some. :)

7. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Hm... I've googled blueprints, diagrams, etc but I only get pictures of the car. I don't really know where to search. It would be great if you found one.
    Oh, and I'll probably adapt the whole undercarriage thing (drivetrain + suspension) from the Grand Marshal or Moonhawk as I have no idea of what goes where. I'll base the JBeam off that to make my life a bit easier. As for the engine, I guess I'll just use the moonhawk's, at least until I can model one properly.

BTW, is your model a 79-82, 83-86 or 87-93? I'm planning an '82 GT.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and back to the original topic: Any good tutorials on making cars in 3ds Max? I guess I'll start a round of trial and error until I get it right.

8. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

I took a look online to see if I could find any blue prints and I didn't find much. I saw some stuff for 60's and early 70's Mustangs but not much for fox body's. What do you need the blue prints for, body, undercarriage, interior, entire car?

You mentioned using the whole undercarriage of the Moonhawk or Grand Marshall, however I'm not sure how that would work. Do you mean putting the Mustang body on the Moonhawk or Grand Marshall frame or just using the MH or GrandM J-beam? Both the Moonhawk and Grand Marshall are way bigger than a fox mustang.

As far as what I'm making, I would like to be able to make a large verity of different Mustangs on the fox plat form. Basically once the main body, chassis, engine, ect. is made, I will put different front/rear ends and interiors to represent different years. Just like what ford did IRL. Currently I'm modeling it after a 1990 Mustang Notchback with a 5L V8 similar to the picture below. Like I said before I pan on making different years and body styles in the future.

(imported from here)

9. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Oh, nice. I like the 87-93 model, I'm just making the older one because it's boxier and therefore easier to model.
    I actually need blueprints for the front and rear ends, as I have a good picture of the car's side. Not a blueprint but it'll do. But there's not a single blueprint of the fox-based Mustangs... And I can't find a picture of the rear end stripped either. The rear fenders are built into the frame, right?
    As for the JBeam, I'm just gonna take the Grand Marshal as a base instead of making it from scratch, and I'll copy the suspension stuff (I think it's the same suspension, double wishbone in the front and a coil spring live axle in the rear), then change the position of the nodes. Mainly just use the suspension and see what goes where. And I'm gonna use gabe's engine, transmission and suspension models because I can't make one (at least for now).

I'm actually learning a lot about cars now, with all this suspension and drivetrain stuff. I would've made an E24 M6, there are lots of blueprints for those, but then MacPherson type suspension. I guess I'll leave it for my second project when slidenodes are in the engine...

10. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck. I guess if you were very serious about accuracy you could buy a fox body Mustang restoration book, but otherwise I guess you may just have to improvise some of the details. There just don't seem to be many blue prints for any mustangs built after around 73'. The Grand Marshal's suspension set up, engine, and rear diff are quite a bit like the mustang so that seems like a good base.

Oh ya and as far as car tutorials for 3d Max, I do not know of any unfortunately however I know that there are people on these forums that use 3ds Max.

11. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I found some front/side blueprints for a 1986 Mustang. The front's a bit different and it's not a GT, but it's something.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I found some tutorials but they aren't really good. At least I got the basics, it'll be trial and error. The car's really boxy so it shouldn't be hard.

12. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

13. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I saw that article when looking for pictures. I've also got a blueprint of an '86 and a nice side pic of an actual '82 GT, so I guess I've got enough to start after I learn a bunch of 3ds max. Thanks for all your help :)

14. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

Good luck, look foreword to seeing more progress. :) There seem to be a plethora of car making 3ds max tutorials on youtube. Also just noticed that the engine in the Grand Marshal looks a lot like the 5.0 V8 in some latter fox Mustangs. :D

15. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I've been practicing 3ds Max, and I have pretty much all the basics covered. Gonna start with the model at some point in this week.
    Once it's done, I'm probably gonna make a 4-door Covet for some JBeam training and then put the Mustang in game.

16. ItaliAsian

ItaliAsian
    Expand Collapse

What year of 3ds Max are you using? I can probably find a tutorial or series of tutorials for you.

17. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

2014. I watched several tutorials, but I don't find videos very helpful. A few of them were good though. I mostly google what I need to know and try until I get it right. I'm making a low poly truck for a mobile game and it's turning out quite well. Of course, making cars for BeamNG is very different but it's good practice.

#17 BlueScreen, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  18. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I'm reviving this thread before I start one in vehicles. I've decided to change the 1982 Mustang GT for an E30 BMW M3. There are several reasons for this, including the lack of blueprints (specially a top view), and someone else (Autofan) is currently working on a Fox body Mustang, and it's pointless to have two of the same car.
    I found plenty of structure pictures and blueprints for the E30 and I'm starting the model now.

19. Autofan

Autofan
    Expand Collapse

There is no need to stop working on the Mustang just because I'm making one. There is like a 50% chance that I'm unable to complete the 3D model, and a have little experience making vehicals for the game, so please If you want to make a Mustang, do it. :D In fact we may be able to help each other out since both cars will have similar parts. And I'm making a '90 and your making an '82, so there is quite a bit of difference. Of course if you still decide to make a BMW good luck. :)

20. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I already started an E30 model. Mainly because I had no top view of the car, which is a problem being my first model for BeamNG, and my first real car model (I modeled some cars before, but they were all made up). I might make a Mustang later when I'm a bit more experienced :)
    Actually the car I wanted to make first was a '79 Prelude, but there were no blueprints or structure pictures at all.
    Good luck with your Mustang :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice