An actual ignition instead of a Start-Stop button

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by WackyFolf, Feb 9, 2018.

?

Has this been annoying anyone else?

1. Now that I've thought about it, yes.

30.9%
  2. YES!

48.5%
  3. Uh, no.

20.6%
  1. WackyFolf

WackyFolf
    Expand Collapse

Sure, the start-stop button is great. It made it so you could start your car again after a stall. But there's a flaw with it that I don't like...

In any car with a key ignition, there are three settings: off, ignition, and start. What really annoys me about the start-stop button is that you can't press it and only get the ignition on and not the starter motor. What I mean by this is if you wanted to "bump start" your car, you must stall it first. That's the only way the have the ignition on, but the engine off. I would like the idea of having the option of being able to only have the ignition on, and have to hold down the UI app to start it, so just a redesign from a button to a switch.

Yes, yes, the game is in early alpha, and this is some minor thing that's bothering one person- me. But it would be really nice to see this feature in the future!

Thanks.

2. Jeppoer

Jeppoer
    Expand Collapse

Great idea!
    There should also be that you have to hold down 'v' until the engine has started instead of only pressing it.
    This would also be a great passage to molten/broken starters.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Well, since the stop start button is already in the game, I think it should be used on cars that would have that feature and on cars that don't have that feature, a regular method (as suggested holding down S to start of something and using V as the ignition) would be for older vehicles. I think that would be a pretty nice aspect to add to the game and it would be pretty simple.

4. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I think this will have to have battery simulation and charging etc. I think the devs would do it properly, although a simple ignition would still be cool

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. robert357

robert357
    Expand Collapse

Start button looks like a placeholder for me. It only "move" revs to the point where engine will work or stall. You can't hold it as long as you want. So if you damage engine that still working but you'll need push throttle to keep revs above, so it wont stall, it's impossible to start the engine without push. Also I don't know why devs make impossible to use start button if engine is broken. We can also broke it by trying turn of the engine on high gear. Script will thing engine is broken so we wouldn't be able to start the engine anymore.

6. rocksim

rocksim
    Expand Collapse

I'd at least like the DRLs on the ETKs to turn off with the engine...

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. kpeir7

kpeir7
    Expand Collapse

Just adding on to your ideas when you switch the ignition on that dashboard lights flash on, also changing the environment temperature so in cold weather you would have to cycle the glow plugs before you start a diesel engine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Why my memory lies to me that in one of similar topic it was answered that will not happen by dev? Could be I remember wrong of course, but that is what my memory lies to me.

9. Carbunny2

Carbunny2
    Expand Collapse

It IS unrealistic for outdated/past cars like the Burnside...

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Classic, man, say classics! :D

Proper ignition and starter mechanics would be indeed nice.

For semi that would mean also air pressure simulation as starter of big rigs is pneumatic, if you don't have air pressure in tanks, you can't start it without getting compressor out, hooking air line, while temp is barely below freezing and everything gets soaked wet at instant because of wet snow that rains, well that is my real world experience about it at least.

Air starters do sound so much cooler than those lame electric starters, so if realistic starting is to come, then that is what needs to be made :D

11. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Probably not going to happen, too much old stuff relies on the two state system.
    Also brings a bunch of UI challenges that we definitely can live without ;)

• Informative Informative x 4
  12. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for bump, but wouldn't the 2 state system still apply? The ignition is the 2-state system.

I think what's missing from perfect realism isn't much. The game already has a functioning ignition system labeled as activateStarter(), with a starter function built into it. So you can control the ignition perfectly only that you can't do so without the starter (the initial torque boost + sound effect)

So in practice, isolate the starter torque boost and sound effect from the current activateStarter function and move them to a separate function. Rename the remaining 2-state function to activateIgnition. And then find a way to run these two functions in sequence upon pressing a key, also allowing them to be bound separately.

A nice implementation of a single key use would be
    press key for ignition,
    press and hold for starter (with a very short delay),
    press again to turn off ignition.

The starter could also run for as long as you hold down the button which adds the possibility for some damage here as well if you over-rev the starter by not releasing it in time.

Plus, automated starter buttons could be made with LUA and be a more exclusive feature of certain cars.

Another thing I noticed is that when you turn off the engine, the car shuts the throttle. It would be nice to be able to turn off the ignition while keeping the throttle open (for reasons)

#12 AX53, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  13. AM-DB9

AM-DB9
    Expand Collapse

My car has a Start/stop button. If you want the engine to start, you need to press the brake pedal. If you only want the electrics, just press the button and everything works but the engine stays off.
    This would be easy to implement in game (V for the electrics and Brake + V for engine start).
    IRL this is also a safety feature: the car can't be started easily if nobody is on the driver seat. Also the passengers can turn off the engine, but can't turn it back on.
    After the engine is started, if you press the button again the engine turns off, but electrics remain on. They turn off when you open the driver door or press the button again.

I actually always press the button as soon as I enter the car so that the ECU can perform all checks/routines/glowplugs-in-cold-weather and then press again to start the engine. Legacy from the old prechamber NA diesel minivan family had 10+ years ago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice