1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Add BeamNG to the Steam Remote Play Together supported list!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gameboy3800, Oct 22, 2019.

1. gameboy3800

gameboy3800
    Expand Collapse

in the latest beta of the steam client, users can now use a feature called 'remote play together' to make local multiplayer games effectively online multiplayer via the host streaming their display to their friend, and their friend streaming back their inputs. the friend doesnt even have to own the game. this is an amazing feature. sadly when we tried it for beam, it didnt give the option. we looked it up, and saw it wasn't on the supported games list, despite the game clearly having local multiplayer in the form of multiseat. the steam feature is currently in beta. so maybe beam will be added to the supported list once it's ready for deployment? if not, what needs to be done to make beamng support this awesome new feature? i think it would give a great second wind to the game!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

No multiscreen, no splitscreen, so single player is better.

3. gameboy3800

gameboy3800
    Expand Collapse

ok? it'd still be an amazing feature to have to let people have fun derbies and such with online friends

4. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

it would be a good feature to have but think of the development time for it remember this game is still in an Alpha build state its got a very very long way to go before anything big happens and its ready for the Steam remote play system

5. gameboy3800

gameboy3800
    Expand Collapse

well its a steam feature. not a beamng feature. i think the only thing holding beam back from it working is that its not on the features supported games list (yet).
    the way that the 'remote play together' feature works is that the host streams his screen to his friends, and his friend streams his inputs to the host. the host handles all the compute horsepower. the other people dont even need to own the game for it to work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Even if BeamNG was on the 'supported games' list, the multiplayer experience wouldn't be as fun anyway, as it's basically just multiseat through the internet

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Which means it would be what we have now minus the plane ticket and carrying my computer through TSA checkpoints. Sounds good to me.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. gameboy3800

gameboy3800
    Expand Collapse

found an app that lets beam be multiplayer like how steam probably would: parsec. works pretty much the same way as the steam feature intends, but it dont care about no 'supported games' list. me and 5 other friends had a blast playing with monster trucks.

9. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

The Steam thing uses Parsec to achieve the multiplayer functionality

10. Paul-Simon

Paul-Simon
    Expand Collapse

Where did you get this from?
    It's a similar system to Parsec, but I can't read anywhere that it literally is Parsec.

11. Loulew

Loulew
    Expand Collapse

Why is everyone so negative about this? It's a great way for the dev team to work less to achieve a great feature.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

If I only remembered. I think I saw it on the Linux gaming subreddit or a similiar one. Can't really find a source for it now

13. Four of Clubs

Four of Clubs
    Expand Collapse

Hate to bump this, but do we have a reason why BeamNG.drive doesn't support remote play together? (Or is it the other way around?)
    I'd really like to try some of the demolition derby scenarios with my friends on Steam.
    From an outside perspective it looks like multiplayer is now low hanging fruit with this method.

Attached Files:

• Annotation2020-01-08182559.jpg
    #13 Four of Clubs, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  14. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Steam enables this feature if the game has a Multiplayer tag on the Steam Store.
    As BeamNG.drive does not have a Multiplayer tag by choice, that does not appear (even though we have Multiseat, we don't think it's what people expect when seeing one of those tags)

On the other side, we saw Steam reporting a number of users using the Remote Play feature already with the game, so there might be some way around the 'not-ideal' tags thing that we might not be aware of.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Four of Clubs

Four of Clubs
    Expand Collapse

That makes sense, I'll have to do some digging then on how to use remote play with Beam.
    Thanks for the tip!

16. gameboy3800

gameboy3800
    Expand Collapse

I've been using the parsec app to do proper racing tournaments with the monster truck mod for a little while now. it's got some bugs but it seems to work very well with up to 8 players. although i would much rather prefer we do it through steam to cut out the need of a separate app. if there is a workaround in the remote play feature then please do let us know.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Four of Clubs

Four of Clubs
    Expand Collapse

I have not found it yet, and I'm on the edge of signing up for parsec if I cant find a solution soon haha
    I agree, I would rather have this work on steam remote play than have to install another app on my PC and my friends computers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

What about using the tag "local coop"?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice