Experimental A small barge of sorts

Discussion in 'Boats' started by floz, Jan 25, 2019.

1. floz

floz
    Expand Collapse

So I thought I'd give boat-building a try. Seems like there's potential to have a release-worthy vehicle with a much shorter list of parts that you must model and jbeam.

The .blend attached is just the raw shape I fed through a jbeam exporter in blender. From there, I did some fine-tuning in BNEditor and Notepad++ to get it to float in a relatively stable manner.

It has no cameras defined, it has no refnodes, it is purely an experimental boat. But, as you can see in the demo video, it can carry a Autobello without any real issue. Obviously, I will be scaling things up a bit, nobody actually transports cars on a dinghy, do they?

Anyhoo, there is a strange bug that I've noticed, where the boat slowly rotates clockwise in the water no matter what else is going on. o_O
    Anybody know what's causing this? Is it my jbeam structure too complex/too tight together? Is it some weird thing about the way Torque3d/BeamNG simulate water?

Attached Files:

2. TechMechanic

TechMechanic
    Expand Collapse

Boats often have the issue of turning in water, make sure all of the nodes are the same weight and that the beams are very strong, even if they move slightly the boat can noticeably turn.

3. floz

floz
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a once-over in the morning.

4. erty311

erty311
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty interested in this becoming a fully fledged mod one day - For whatever reason I enjoy using Beamng as a transport simulator :D

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice