Outdated '87 VW Golf Mk2 GTI [UPDATE 10/17]

Discussion in 'Land' started by RedBolide, Nov 3, 2013.

1. RedBolide

RedBolide
    Expand Collapse

screenshot_00019.png
    ORIGINAL RELEASE:
    When I started this project a few months ago, I had no experience with BeamNG content creation and minimal skill with Blender. This mod has come a very long way since then. The mesh, created by Sketchup artist mandun, is incredibly detailed. It was a perfect candidate for my first conversion to BeamNG. I used mandun's mesh and Gabester's hatch file for the base of the mod. Mythbuster helped me a ton with this mod. He created a realistic front and rear suspension for the mod, and helped me solve many of the problems I came across. My biggest accomplishment on the Golf is the textures and materials. I created UV maps for every part through Blender and Photoshop using a few Youtube tutorials, the advice of other creators in the forum, and a lot of trial and error. The UV maps are fully skinnable. I also changed the Jbeam to fit the mesh. There are a few different wheels, suspension options, and body parts that can be changed. Dkutch gave me permission to use his rally wheels from his Hatch MRi mod, and Jalkku let me use his gravel wheels from his VW Polo mod.

FIRST UPDATE RELEASE:
    This version of this mod includes three versions of the GTI: stock, turbo, and rally. There are a number of significant differences between this version and previous versions. The biggest change is the textures. I completely UV mapped the body and most of the parts, allowing the mesh to be skinned. I also fixed the normals on the rally front bumper, added some new parts, fixed the issues with the front bumper shaking, and fixed the problem with the rally wheels disappearing. The stock version is the default configuration of the mod. The turbo version includes larger steel wheels and a turbocharger for extra power. The rally configuration includes a bigger front bumper, spoiler, gravel wheels, and a Sparco racing wheel. You can create your own configurations with the other parts included in the vehicle configurator. The color of the car can be changed through the in-game editor. The UV maps can also be edited to create skins. This will most likely be the last version of this mod. I don't plan on adding lights or gauges. I'm really tired of working on this mod, so I'd rather move on. I am fine with people modding or skinning this car as long as they give credit. I do not want this car released on other sites. Я не хочу этот автомобиль будет выпущен на других сайтах. I will not continue to release content if everything I post gets thrown onto other websites without giving credit. Thanks to everyone who helped out with the mod!

SECOND UPDATE RELEASE:
    The VW Golf is officially back and better than ever! This new release is fully compatible with the experimental version of BeamNG. It features a number of updates since the last version. The color selector is now working. I added a bunch of new configurations, as well as a few new wheel options. The sport and mesh wheels from the Ibishu Covet are now available through the part selector. Hubcaps are now available on the stock 15-inch wheels. With multi-DAE support and a fully skinnable mesh, this mod is perfect for customization and skinning. However, if you plan to modify the mesh, do not import the .DAE into Blender. Use the .BLEND file included in the ZIP instead. Enjoy!

screenshot_00025.jpg
    screenshot_00022.jpg
    screenshot_00011.jpg

screenshot_00014.jpg

screenshot_00012.jpg

screenshot_00013.jpg

screenshot_00015.png

screenshot_00016.png

screenshot_00017.png

screenshot_00018.png

Having issues with the mod? Before you post, try this:
    1. Go to documents -> BeamNG.drive -> cache -> vehicles. You should see a folder called "87Golf." Delete this folder.
    2. Go here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\BeamNG.drive and find the file called "87Golf." If it's the old version, it will be a folder located in the "vehicles" folder. If it's the new version, it will be a ZIP file located in content -> vehicles. Either way, delete the file.
    3. Redownload the new ZIP file from the first post. Place the entire ZIP file here (don't extract): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\BeamNG.drive\content\ vehicles

Attached Files:

#1 RedBolide, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Re: '87 Volkswagen Golf Mk2 GTI

I'm sounding like a broken record here, but urgh... broken smoothing groups.

Especially visible here:

(imported from here)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

You need to get a keyboard with macro support (if you dont already have one) and set up a "broken smoothing groups" macro.

4. Nothanks

Nothanks
    Expand Collapse

Aw yeah! Mk 2 :D are you making a Vr6 special edition to? maybe 4 motion :D

5. youdidwhat!!

youdidwhat!!
    Expand Collapse

yes good idea but for gods sake dont do a bluemotion

6. Jujune

Jujune
    Expand Collapse

Hey good luck with this :)
    Looks good so far!

7. asad1234

asad1234
    Expand Collapse

So far looks great :)

8. JAM3SwGAM3S

JAM3SwGAM3S
    Expand Collapse

Wow looks awesome, looking forward for the release :)

9. Jujune

Jujune
    Expand Collapse

Will it be on the steal wheels and hubcabs by gabester (cause i really like them)
    Or do you make your own with hubcabs?

10. reimo12

reimo12
    Expand Collapse

The car looks gorgeous :D (on my opinion, but i think nobody really gives a ****)

11. FastestClassic

FastestClassic
    Expand Collapse

No, I most certainly do. I love all the early gen (mk3 and earlier) GTIs ;D

Anyway, very happy to see this coming to BeamNG. Good luck 0to60 :)

12. Brendan

Brendan
    Expand Collapse

My brother used to own one of these until this summer (what a piece of junk) but it looked cool. I would recommend making the fender flare come out 1.5x what it is right now. Just my personal input :p. I would also recommend doing racing seats instead of the stock ones up front, it looks way better.

13. dunc12

dunc12
    Expand Collapse

Here's mine, let me know if you need any reference photos :)

Attached Files:

• IMG_20130616_174708.JPG
  14. RedBolide

RedBolide
    Expand Collapse

I finally found a useful tutorial for textures and materials. I've been messing around with UVs and textures. At the moment, nothing has changed. It doesn't seem to be working properly. I'll keep at it though. More updates soon!

15. mustang5

mustang5
    Expand Collapse

Hi 0-60in2.9sec can you tell me how you put the vollkswagen body in the ibishu covet body.jbeam please. and you car is looking good!

16. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Easy, press ALT-F4 then smash your pc.

17. mustang5

mustang5
    Expand Collapse

I do not undersand

18. SkritCraft

SkritCraft
    Expand Collapse

Very funny :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. RedBolide

RedBolide
    Expand Collapse

Finally, some results! I've been messing around with materials and textures for the past 2 weeks, and I finally made a breakthrough. Below is a terrible picture of my testing. It might not look like much, but it's huge for me. If everything goes according to plan, I'm going to redo all of the materials and textures for the mesh. I'm expecting to finish those around Thanksgiving unless I run into more problems. Updates coming soon!
    pic.png screenshot_00000.png
    Don't worry. The teal color is just for testing. ;)

20. wilder

wilder
    Expand Collapse

Re: (UPDATE 11-19) '87 Volkswagen Golf Mk2 GTI

Alright I'll be ready for this test beta around thanksgiving.... ;) I really take a liking to the small cars on here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice