$350 laptop from 2015 problems

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by asf2424, Jan 1, 2017.

1. asf2424

asf2424
    Expand Collapse

1. super beefy games freeze the whole computer and forced reboot again
    2. only getting 60 frames on super light games from early 2000s
    3. if getting 60 frames in a modern game, it's in s small area where there's pretty much nothing
    4. not recommended to play games on headphones
    5. computer was originally worth $800, but it was just "innovation" (damn apple for putting their idea of innovation in my head!)
    6. headphones are absolute hell to game with (ears are gonna bleed from headphone port constantly disconnectiong)
    7. bluetooth never worked, thus requiring me to have to plug everything in
    8. its a better idea to get a desktop for the $800 this thing was originally worth
    9. now my computer is like $299
    10. easy heat damage

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

Price does matter (unless you're getting it off the black market) for preformance. It sorta influences the whole computer from

Trash
    Good

Since you are running a laptop and it only costed around 350 usd, we can conclude that your laptop is Trash

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. asf2424

asf2424
    Expand Collapse

yep, it actually is complete trash

4. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Are the specs actually any good then?

5. Srockzz

Srockzz
    Expand Collapse

Easy. Dont buy Apple products (Thats my guess on your computer).
    give a try to a Ram upgrade. if you ahve only 4gb or less, that might be the first of a lot of problems you might have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. asf2424

asf2424
    Expand Collapse

its actually just a cheap laptop that was designed on most things cheap
    --- Post updated ---
    depends

super old games: its good

new games: crap

documents: match made in heaven

7. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Cheap laptops are only really designed for internet use and spreadsheet/presentation/word processing

8. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

yeah that usually is divided by Intel HD graphics or NVidia/AMD dedicated GPU

9. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

So, say, an $850 Lenovo ThinkPad T560 is trash than? And a $499 Acer Aspire with a 940MX is good then? How about a $799 Lenovo Ideapad with a Radeon M360? Note it comes from the same manufacture as the ThinkPad does, but the Ideapad is actually pure junk. And that Acer? Junk, too. Cheaply made, no matter how nice the specs are. On the contrary, most Alienware laptops are overpriced Dell crap. Whereas the integrated GPU Dell Latitudes are great machines.

There's more to laptops being good/bad than just specs. Reliability, useability, sex appeal, those are all relevant. My 2009 17" MacBook Pro is a great laptop. It's reliable and has great sex appeal. My HP Pavilion 15 is a bloody awful laptop. It's cheaply made, it's slow, the trackpad is awful, the keyboard is terrible, and the screen is washed out. But my IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad R50e from 2003 is an awesome laptop despite being under powered.

You see how saying stuff like "yeah that usually is divided by Intel HD graphics or NVidia/AMD dedicated GPU" is stupid? Expensive laptops with dedicated graphics can be just as bad (or even worse) than cheap laptops with iGPUs.

10. Tony Bamanebaeo

Tony Bamanebaeo
    Expand Collapse

You are very correct about laptops, but your point became invalid when you said a 2009 17" MacBook was good. I'm talking from experience here. It's trash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

And I speak from experience when I say it's a good laptop. I've had Windows laptops in and out of here, I've had a couple Linux based laptops, and I still turn to my Mac for mobile computing. Now, if I were an Apple fanboy, I'd have a 2016 MacBook Pro with the Radeon Pro 460 GPU and maxed ram and all that shit. I'd also have an iMac or a Mac Pro for my desktop (check my signature, no Mac found there). So I think having just one doesn't make my point invalid. It would be invalid if I went off and bought every single freaking thing that company makes, and I don't.

I may have an iPhone, but my fully unlimited cellular plan just so happened to get it to me with reasonable payments. $25/month versus $40/month for a Samsung Galaxy. I'm not rich, I want the cheaper phone, thanks. I have an Apple Watch, but I didn't buy it, my parents gifted it to me because my carrier gave me deal on an iPhone with my plan. I also replaced my iPad Air with a $60 Windows 10 based tablet because I wanted something actually useful to me. So, again, my point is still valid. Side Note: it's not useful to me at all, I hate tablets.

You're also shallow minded. Just because I mention a computer as being good (note: good, not great, not amazing, just good) in my opinion that you don't think is great does not in any way make my point invalid. The only thing that exchange of words does is make you look like an asshole, and make me look like a dick having to respond to you.

12. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

i mean for gaming, sorry. General laptop use doesnt require a dedicated GPU and a dedicated gpu can be bad in some cases due to the extra noise from cooling and battery consumption

13. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

You'd actually be surprised how well the newer iGPU's in Skylake/Kaby Lake systems can do with a moderate gaming load. Go look up some videos on YouTube, you'll find people playing GTA V on i7-6500U's and HD 530's.

14. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

My sister's new i5-6200U laptop is very capable, playing Cities: Skylines (the only game she plays) at medium GFX settings. It's not great, but it's enough for her.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

Or we can be more simple and say

Don't buy a laptop. And why the hell are you relating laptops and sex appeal?

16. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

He thinks that having a Crapbook will get him a woman. Except it has yet to do that.

17. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

Nah man, trust me, having a good laptop gets you all the women, just walk up behind them and start whispering its specs into her ear and her clothes will just fall off man.
    I can vouch for this, I have a MSI PE60 6QE which while it is a somewhat expensive laptop with a dedicated GPU has absolutely terrible build quality, the grey paint on the mouse buttons has worn away, the brass ring around the microphone jack just fell out of it and a slight bump to the side of the screen caused a bit of plastic connected to the hinge to just snap in half and pop open that side of the case thing and its so new that it's still under warranty but my cheap HP from 06 or 07 that I used for about 7 or so years only has the worn out mouse buttons that this laptop now has but otherwise has been completely problem free.

18. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

If you "get a woman" simply from owning something then you really wouldn't want to know said woman.

I have a HP laptop, it is garbage as was the other HP i owned before that, all they have going for them is cheap price to performance (I got it used anyway though) but I don't really think a macbook or any other "premium" laptop is any better they just have a better case but they have the same sort of hardware failures, such as GPU heat death as with my last HP laptop.

19. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

Gucci Belts cost the same and have more sex appeal. Plenty of women go to rich teenagers.

#19 Rainvest, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  20. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

they are very new systems though, the iGPUs i know are those from the original Sandy Bridge. If only they did make good GPUs for mobile such as the Atoms, Cherry trail is getting outdated with no successor.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also i dont really care about the build quality of a laptop, as long as it has I/O and decent specs then im happy. Well made cheap systems usually have bad hardware, such as my ADVENT 5301 that has a dreadful SiS Mirage 3+ that can just barely run windows aero and causes a blue screen if you try and hardware accelerate powerpoint

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice