Cancelled 2019 Subaru Forester (6th Gen) - Help with .JBEAM editing (first mod)

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by randallten2016, Mar 8, 2019.

1. randallten2016

randallten2016
    Expand Collapse

Hi. I am looking to create a mod. The car I am making is the 2019 Subaru Forester (6th Gen). I am looking to use the same platform as the ETK 800, as it is one of the newest cars in the game, it also is one of the closest cars to the Forester's body and platform. So I am hoping there is a way to put the Jbeam in blender and adjust it that way, as i think i would be able to adjust it best that way. Now i tried the converter and it isn't working, whenever I open the .JBEAM it just shows up with the normal block. Now I may have done something wrong with the installation, as the only add-on I have added in Blender is a .dff file importer, and I installed the Jbeam opener the same way. Also if there is a tutorial, (Video or wiki) it would be appreciated if you could send it.

By looking at different files for different mods, I am pretty sure I can figure out most of it on my own. But I want to make sure this mod turns out at least decent, and I want it to be quality higher than Russian mods. Oh and side note, the mode I will be using is purchased, since I am terrible at making cars from scratch.

But anyways moving on. More details about my plans for the mod is I will try to make every trim except for the sport, as the model I'm buying is the limited.

Attached Files:

• Subaru_Forester_Mk5_SK_Touring_HQinterior_2018_1000_0002.jpg
    • Subaru_Forester_Mk5_SK_Touring_HQinterior_2018_1000_0001.jpg
    • Subaru_Forester_Mk5_SK_Touring_HQinterior_2018_600_0013.jpg
    #1 randallten2016, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. coconut_pie

coconut_pie
    Expand Collapse

You might want to try the BeamEditor which you can find in:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BeamNG.drive\utils\editor
    Just run the editor from the folder you find it in. You can import the JBEAMs and reference OBJs and move nodes and beams around that way.
    I would also suggest, a lot of purchased vehicle models seem to be very high poly. You'll want to simplify it a good deal. Use the vanilla vehicles as a guide to how detailed the mesh should be.

Does the purchased model have a suspension system already? Because if it does then making your own might be something to try. I initially though about using the ETK800 drivetrain as well but now after reading the wiki i feel like making my own. What I had in mind initially want to simply extend the wheelbase because I'm making a sedan.

Here are some example pics of how detailed your mesh should be.
    Left is not very detailed, won't deform nicely, middle is about right, right is far too detailed. I mean, you can have a very high res but your performance will suffer a lot.
    upload_2019-3-7_23-48-0.png upload_2019-3-7_23-48-47.png upload_2019-3-7_23-48-58.png

Anyways, I wish you well. It's good that people still want to make proper vehicles. Personally not a fan of Automation vehicles; they don't handle well and often they are half a**ed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. randallten2016

randallten2016
    Expand Collapse

thx for the reply, looking into it now. Also am thinking about putting, or at least trying to put, the gearbox and engine configurations from the sunburst, since it is a cvt, and the only gearbox for the 2019 forester is cvt. also i know that high poly severs performance, but i know its selfish but my computer is very powerful and if someones cant then thats their problem, but thats just how i feel
    --- Post updated ---

#3 randallten2016, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

Pretty sure you'd need to make it medium-poly anyway. AFAIK, the higher poly the model, the more spiky it may deform, even with a decent Jbeam. I'd personally look at the official vehicles either way for Jbeams, but focus on editing the model first. One step at a time.

5. randallten2016

randallten2016
    Expand Collapse

I could try to poly reduce it by decimating then subdividing till the car is perfect

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

That sounds reasonable. What's the current polycount?

7. randallten2016

randallten2016
    Expand Collapse

2,660,000 polys
    --- Post updated ---
    but the mod is cancelled as it is mostly for something else, and i cannot have it public as a result of that
    --- Post updated ---
    but it still may possibly become a mod just not for a while

8. Littleturdlet

Littleturdlet
    Expand Collapse

Don't decimate it that will make the topology worse! Does the model come with a low poly version? I know some models do.

9. MrCin

MrCin
    Expand Collapse

Subaru, what have you done to the Forester?

10. coconut_pie

coconut_pie
    Expand Collapse

Shame you cancelled the mod. Was getting somewhat excited to have a modern SUV as a proper mod that isn't the ugly thing the ETK800 is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. randallten2016

randallten2016
    Expand Collapse

It might come in some months, but right now first of all i dont have any experience, second of all ill have to figure out the issue with the polys.and also i dont know anyone to help me out.

12. coconut_pie

coconut_pie
    Expand Collapse

Right, ok.
    Well, first thing I think you should do it get some practice modelling in blender. One way to fix the poly issue would be to build the car up from scratch. This might seem tedious but you don't need any blueprints and artistic license. You have the model right there in front of you. Just model a lower poly version using the purchased model as a template.

Also, better for you, something I'll have to do manually, is you have a high poly model from which you can bake your normal maps for detail such as panel stampings and such which aren't actually modelled.

As far as having someone to help you out, I don't have anyone either. My method is to study a vanilla vehicle with a feature I want to use and then copy the way it does it. i.e. studying how the beamnavigator works in some cars to try an implement it into my own.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice