WIP 2005 Touox TZ; small hatchback

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by MagotanVW, Apr 1, 2020.

1. MagotanVW

MagotanVW
    Expand Collapse

I've posted here a couple times with a few projects that didn't really go anywhere, but I was in school back then. Also, the meshes, and designs had issues. Since I'm in quarantine like most of us around the world for COVID-19, I've been refining my modeling skills.

I'm trying to get this into BeamNG, hopefully. I want to make this as close to developer level quality as I possibly can.

What is it?

Touox is an American brand; but unlike GM or Ford (Or Gavril??) - they've *tried* to stay relevant in small car markets. Their smallest model - the TZ (name pending) is a basic subcompact runabout that is kind of mediocre. It's a bit bland to look at, and kind of disposable to drive and own. It was known for being somewhat reliable, but it's Japanese competition usually beat it out in most reviews.

However, that didn't stop many of Americans and a few Europeans from buying the small hatchback, as it still sold in decent enough numbers - although it was cheaper to buy than a lot of its competition.

The car itself?

This car has a few inspirations, being inspired of the B-segment subcompact or "supermini" cars of the mid 2000;s. The Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, Chevy Aveo, Scion xA, Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa. I will admit, the design leans a bit heavily on the Korean inspiration.

The car is 149" long - to scale, (at least when I imported a Covet), the TZ is shorter and narrower than the Ibishu Covet, but it's taller.

The car is supposed to be *basic* so I have no plans for some weird 600HP engine that would never realistically fit in this car.

Power comes from one of four engines, three gas, one diesel. Maybe a sporty version later down the line

1.1L ~60-70 ish HP

1.4L 75-90HP

1.6L - about 100-115HP

1.5 DIESEL - 70HP.

Maybe a sporty version with 180HP.

Power goes only to the front wheels, sent to a 5-speed manual, or a 4-speed automatic. Not sure, I might add a CVT auto as an option (along with maybe a bigger 1.8L engine) but I want to get the important stuff done first.

The suspension is once again basic and cost-effective - McPherson struts up front, and a semi-independent torsion beam in the back.

The car is basic inside too - no integrated stereo, just a double-din head unit space.

The single din head unit I made myself, the double din is a stand-in for now.

There's about three or four trims - the basic trim coming with 13" wheels, and body-colored B-pillar trim, and black plastic door handles.

Earlier save state of the model, but I have door jambs, door cards, and pretty much the modeling is 98% done. I even have struts and a torsion beam modeled.

Texturing is on its way, but a long way to go.

As it stands, the model (without wheels) sits at around 140K triangles. Some parts could be simplified, but I feel confident that I'm ok with respect to poly count. The tires and (steel) wheels I had planned on borrowing from the Ibishu or Bruckell catalog, but the hubcaps and rims would be modeled by me.

Here's some more photos of an earlier save state of the model. I've remodeled the taillights since then.

Things to do:

The undercarriage I feel is both too high poly and the geometry is kind of bad compared to dev releases. I need to remodel the front half of it.

As seen in the interior, some of the fitment isn't quite there yet, and nothing is textured. still, not hard to fix.

There's no J-beam, and the content creation on how to make one seems unhelpful.

• Like Like x 32
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Hazer55

Hazer55
    Expand Collapse

Nice! Looks great, good luck with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MagotanVW

MagotanVW
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! That script and documentation help a lot.

4. Youngtimer

Youngtimer
    Expand Collapse

Great idea! Would really be good if it reach game somewhen. One suggestion, I think that wheel wells should be bigger.

5. RobloxFan2

RobloxFan2
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Porsche lover

Porsche lover
    Expand Collapse

Is it a key-car?

7. MagotanVW

MagotanVW
    Expand Collapse

Actually - I recently remodeled the exterior, but I don't like the design or poly optimization, so probably not right this instant. That poly flow of that old mesh was pretty wonky, and it was graphically expensive for what it was. The proportions were also off.

I have a 2nd version in my drafts that has an exterior done, sort of.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. FordKing

FordKing
    Expand Collapse

Let me say something:
    It
    Looks
    Amazing

9. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

idk man- i really really like the design but its just a bit too- euro/asian looking
    its your mod tho so good luck to you! just my opinion

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

it's almost as if it's a european car...

11. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

i retract my statement, didn't see the manufacturer location and assumed it was french

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MagotanVW

MagotanVW
    Expand Collapse

Have you guys paid attention to "American" small cars in the late 1990's and mid 2000's? All of the cars in this class sold in the US were imported from Korea, and lightly restyled. Not to mention, "American" cars are just as diverse as "European" cars. Even still, I don't think there's any distinct "American" look to a car, especially around 2005 - loads of designers went back and forth across the world and designs definitely started looking more similar around the world.

Even so - I made the inspiration clear in the original post.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MagotanVW

MagotanVW
    Expand Collapse

Correct, sort of. It's not really "Korean" because it was designed by an American company, but it was designed as cheaply as many cars from that era. It's not meant to be particularly good - just more functional.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. MagotanVW

MagotanVW
    Expand Collapse

Update: using altered parts from the Pessima I (and parts I've made), I have a front suspension, engine, and transmission.

I also remodeled the front chassis

• Like Like x 7
  15. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Personally I’d make it in the middle. Not the safest, but you won’t crumple like tin foil.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. michael_zowski

michael_zowski
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

that i'd say is more like the kwid, if not worse.

17. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

About yeah

18. MagotanVW

MagotanVW
    Expand Collapse

Question: Are the BeamNG cars scaled differently? When I import Collada files, even the 14" wheels are really like almost 16" wheels.

19. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

You mentioned potentially adding a CVT to this car, you can just take the Sunburst's CVT and bolt it onto here. It would be very realistic.

20. MagotanVW

MagotanVW
    Expand Collapse

To Blender, yes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice