2003 Raptor 660 backfiring and dying

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by IBsenoj, Oct 11, 2016.

1. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Y'all seem to have well rounded knowledge, let's see if you can help me with this one.
    I just bought this (used), no knowledge in quads or anything, please help me out. and be as straight forward as you can be.
    here's a video that explains everything. Listening to the engine will help a lot I'm pretty sure.

Thanks in advance for your support!

2. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Anybody got an idea? it'll start back up in under a minute.

3. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Hmm... that's an odd one... on my old machine (83 Suzuki LT125) I used to have to pull the choke out some to try and catch it and keep it from stalling. I drove it like that for many years as my mechanical knowledge was rather bad. Only recently did I learn that it was because my mechanical vacuum fuel pump (yea, a fuel pump on an atv, it was a weird machine) was totally clogged with dirt. Cleaned it out and now it runs like a champ... That, however, I can guarantee is not your problem as the Raptors (and just about everything else) are gravity fed... that being said, however, see if it might have a fuel filter. Could need changing because if that is not allowing for enough flow, the carburetor may not be filling with gas fast enough. Once it runs out of gas in the bowl, it will putter out and shut off. Also you say it will start right back up in about a minute? Bowl probably filled with gas again... See if there is a fuel filter... could be your problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice