1979 Plymouth Volare Project

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by EDit232 2, Aug 15, 2018.

1. EDit232 2

EDit232 2
    Expand Collapse

Hello all! You make remember me from my 1969 Ford F100 project... https://www.beamng.com/threads/1969-ford-100-restoration-story-time.30162/ Unfortunately, I have run out of time for a full restoration, I will be moving away soon and haven't touched that truck for 2 years. It still sits in the same spot.

Why?

I've come to tell you about a new project that I have been literally slapping together since November of 2017. This is my 1979 Plymouth Volare sedan. There is nothing special about it besides it was a special order and I still have the broadcast sheet. When my dad was my age he had a 1978 Dodge Aspen, essentially the same car. This inspired me to get one for myself because I cannot stand new cars and this car is extremely simple and boxy. It is 95% original, I have changed the AM radio with some cheap Walmart one, the left torsion bar was snapped, and I had replaced the fuel pump.

Craigslistad.jpg (Craigslist Ad Photo)

Rough Beginnings

So I had brought this thing to my pappy's house and immediately began working on it. It didn't run, have brakes, or a proper suspension. It had a hole in the frame which was easily patched. I got the car to at least crank over after an electrical distribution issue.
    brokentorsionbar.jpg (New Fuel Pump)

After the new fuel pump was installed, the 225 cui (slant six) ran nearly perfectly. (my harmonic balancer wobbles so bad and I don't know how to fix it). So with the broken torsion bar, I gently drove it out front to the garage and ripped the carburetor off. (carter bbd carburetors are terrible carburetors, the car still isnt running right) I fixed the gauge cluster lights and put the new torsion bar on. (torsion bar from rare 1977 Dodge Aspen R/T with t-top sun roof) I put the new brake lines on the rear and got new wheel cylinders. After doing that and adjusting a few things, I had a friend of mine to check it out and see what all it needed for
    inspection.

1stinspectionfailed.jpg (Inspection day)

Half Way Through

I drove it home after that. I nearly broke down a time or two but it made it. That was extremely stupid of me but I got it home. I did all sorts of things at home. I finished the frame rail, I changed the radio. I put on a new grille and put new struts on it all the way around (this car has struts on the front and back). I bought new wheels got it and tires.

1stdayhomewithtorsionbarandcarbrepair.jpg FrontViewalmostdone.jpg NewGrille2.jpg NoGrille.jpg originalAMradio.jpg PaintedValveCovernewgasket.jpg NewWheels.jpg

So thats it. I am very proud of myself. It been a challenge and I still have some very minor things to do before it gets inspected the day before school starts back up. Thank you for reading through!

#1 EDit232 2, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Mr.Blueboy

Mr.Blueboy
    Expand Collapse

Awesome! :D

3. santas226

santas226
    Expand Collapse

nice! good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice