WIP Beta released 1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter Update 0.9.1

Discussion in 'Land' started by Goosah, Jun 24, 2014.

1. FreakyDeakyDutch

FreakyDeakyDutch
    Expand Collapse

Re: 1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter

Holy smokes this is coming along nicely. Only thing I see is some weird smoothing on the exhaust exit on the engine. I hope very much to see this finished.

2. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

It's beautiful. You've really done an magnificent job of the modeling and jbeam, and I'm certain it will be a joy to drive.

Everything seems fine modeling wise, no shading errors or inconsistencies in sight! That said, I'm surprised to see front drums. I'd have sworn these at least had solid discs on the front.

Best 3000 triangles ever spent ^_^

3. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Noted about the exhaust. Most of the parts are modelled so I can just hit auto smooth with a certain value and things turn out fine. But some things need tweaking, and now I also see some polys that still have no smoothing applied yet. I will do a final once over :)

I hate jagged reflections! I love to see the cubemap reflections glide smoothly across the bodywork, but it can be really tedious to get right. I had to remove the pocket under the door handle, for example, because I could not stop the reflections from being disturbed on the rest of the door. I will have to normal map the pocket.

I've done the most basic model (KE15L) with the only variation being the use of KE10 dog dish hubcaps rather than the ugly KE15 ones. The KE15SL came with some features like small front discs, as well as a dual carb engine, tachometer, wood rim steering wheel, radio. Maybe somebody will add them later. I have ideas for a new project already!

Thanks to both of you for the support and critique :)

4. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

My new least favorite thing to do:

Mesh75UVWUnwrap.jpg

So many stupid little parts. Done the suspension and body/undercarriage. Still have to do the engine/trans and interior. How much stretch is ok for undercarriage? We will see. I think I got pretty picky but I've never done this before.

5. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Looking good! Some stretch on the underside most likely won't matter, considering that you don't look at the underside very often.
    The exterior/paintwork on the other hand is much more important. Be sure that where mapping joins (I don't know the technical term) meshes together perfectly, otherwise skins (i.e racing livery) will look weird at said joins.

I'd also recommend that you use 2 separate sides for the exterior mapping, as opposed to mirroring one side. This is preferred for skin making when writing is involved for obvious reasons.

Anyway, good luck with the remaining mapping and texturing. I'm sure it shall look spectacular;)

6. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

This was my first time UVing and attempting to texture, and its kicking my ass. I'm having issues with seams as there seems to be a lot of padding required that I didnt leave room for in the UV pack. Also, I have way too many seams because I was scared about distortion when I should have been scared about a big unmanageable mess of a layout. I think I have to redo all my UVs a little more intelligently before I waste more time. In fact I might go backwards and change a bit of my mesh work and smoothing groups as well. Alternately, I could run with what I've got, do a simple spec and color map quick and dirty and get this thing out to you guys to play with.

I do have normal maps more or less figured out, as you can see in the panel bevels and weatherstrip in the window rubber. Also, I have the process of of AO baking more or less right (not shown in photos).

Whats left is figuring out a decent workflow in Photoshop, and a bit more learning about how T3D materials work. If anybody knows of tutorials that might be of help, please let me know. Especially ones that feature working in photoshop and doing hocus pocus with layers.

Currently, I have a diffuse and normal map on the body shell. I made the alpha channel of the diffuse dark grey for body panels, but the car is still chromeo. I thought alpha channel was supposed to control the cubemap strength?

Attached Files:

• screenshot_00001.jpg
    • screenshot_00002.jpg
    • screenshot_00003.jpg
    • screenshot_00004.jpg
  7. Wheelie

Wheelie
    Expand Collapse

This is looking amazing. I'm looking forward to some one-sided car chases using this thing. ;)

#87 Wheelie, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  8. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Loving this in bare metal. Cannot wait to add this beauty to my collection.

9. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Color changing is working aside from a few spots like the window frames that I forgot to shade the right color in the color map. I found the factory Sprinter colors and recreated them best I could. I found that keeping the alpha high and increasing spec strength gives a good recreation of old solid colors. One color option was metallic though, so it would be cool if the spec value could be changed via the new color selector thing.

Started working on emblems using the decal method as seen on the Sunburst. This takes a transparency, diffuse, spec, and normal map. Its not "popping" as much as I'd hoped, but I think that has a lot to do with the cubemap (reflections don't work from the normal map) overpowering shading and specular.

screenshot_00002.png

10. shockwaffleman

shockwaffleman
    Expand Collapse

This is amazing, will be an awesome addition to the game.
    Definitely following this until the end.

11. gamingthrou

gamingthrou
    Expand Collapse

I will predict the official release of this mod with three words:
    Gorgeous
    Classy
    Best

12. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I like the detail you give on what you're doing.:cool:

13. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Judging by your images I'm going to have the same niggling gripe with this car i have with the default cars. In most car crash videos I see the A pillar tends to stay rigid and push the roof of the car upward. In BeamNG the A pillars roll outwards so the windscreen bulges weirdly. Looks like yours does that also. Is that accurate for this car?

Anyway, god damn thats some nice modelling.

14. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

That's something I've been struggling with. There are a few things I want to try for a v2 jbeam, one of them is to try and make an A pillar with a triangular cross section. The reason a lot of the cars do what you say is because there are 2 center nodes in the pillar that form an axis for the pillar to bend at. I've tried to make the best of it by angling these two nodes a certain way. It's a lot better now than in my early jbeam progress screenshots. For now I'm going to release the car with the jbeam more or less as is.

15. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Great explanation and describes exactly what I see as well. The node points are very clear now that you've explained this. The Covet amongst others shows this vividly:

screenshot_00003.jpg

It's about time I got into this further...you looking at beam/node structures in the debug apps?
    EDIT: Apologies if de-railing, just kick me in the head if need be.

16. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

screenshot_00000 (2).jpg screenshot_00001 (2).jpg screenshot_00002 (2).jpg

Badges and lettering are done. The scripts and trunk badge took a hell of a lot of work vectorizing photos I took and doing a bunch of work to try and get the edges to stand out with normal maps. I didn't spend as much time on the lights but I think they look ok. Yeah sorry the lights aren't transparent. Maybe later haha.

17. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I think it's time for some crash testing bro. Nameplates look very nice!

18. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

This is beautiful, very nice work with the badges and lights. I really look forward to driving this through a twisty Japanese road when it's ready:D

19. gamingthrou

gamingthrou
    Expand Collapse

What I planned to do when this mod gets its official release:
    Wake up at 7 AM
    eat breakfast
    open my internet browser
    Download this mod
    Install this mod
    open/play beamng.drive
    open a beautiful map and this mod
    stare at its beauty-ness for 15 hours
    sleep

repeat without step 3->5

20. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

I'm excited to see the beta and final release as well! I really hope you do a custom jbeam for it. Would be a shame if not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice