WIP Beta released 1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter Update 0.9.1

Discussion in 'Land' started by Goosah, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Official Trailer by FilsFilms

screenshot_00003.png

Current WIP Status: v0.9.2
    0.9:
    The car is primarily complete except for interior and engine textures.

0.9.1:
    Mostly bug fixes, see changelog pg 8

0.9.2:
    Jbeam improvements: Powertrain/Thermals/Fire/pressureWheels, suspension and steering redesigned, new configs, many fixes and small improvements

Credit:

Gabester for Hatch and D15 jbeam beginnings
    Mythbuster for tire tread textures

Things to keep in mind:

The stock vehicle was very slow, had no sway bars, and weak brakes. Driving this is all about conserving momentum! Still, it is very entertaining on the tight back roads. Master the stock configurations before you go customizing all the authentic crappiness away!

The stock vehicle was extremely structurally weak, with essentially no consideration for crash performance AT ALL. In order to get realistic crash results at reasonable speeds (<60mph) things get a little crazy at high speed. So don't expect much realism when you send it flying into a wall at 250m/s with the Wind App ; It is a tin can that makes the Covet look like a tank.

PERMITTED USE:

NO RE UPLOADING

NO CRASHING, it's my baby! (jk)

Personal modding is totally fine, but please don't upload your modified versions unless you get my permission via PM.

Use of my my jbeam/mesh/texture work is ok with permission via PM, and credit given on anything released.

Agree? OK Then

Attached Files:

#1 Goosah, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 14
  2. nickzeboy

nickzeboy
    Expand Collapse

Re: 1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter

YUS, LOVE IT!!!

3. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Very nice work :) My only criticism is (yep, broken record here), curve yer pillars! It's subtle, but the real one has slightly curved pillars:

(imported from here)

Add some more geo to the B-pillar and curve it ;)

Also, if it can be of any help, you might want to check out my blog post from a while ago about vehicle workflow: http://www.beamng.com/entries/40

• Like Like x 3
  4. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

That is an excellent model!

5. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Good eye, as expected! Almost nothing on a car like this is actually straight lol. Damn cars being made from clay models haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blockman

Blockman
    Expand Collapse

I love this model. I love it so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Mmmm... Juicy!

Anyway, you've got a really nice model there, apart from the lack of curved pillars it appears to be perfect! The polyflow is very professional too, which means you obviously know what you're doing. I'll look forward to seeing this progress, and eventually driving it ^_^

8. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Nice model! Does this one use McPherson struts? I hope it does, because the more slidenodes the better ;)

9. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it has struts in the front (typical of most Japanese vehicles), so slidenodes will have to be used:)

10. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I was going to attempt to fake a strut suspension by using a very long virtual upper wishbone, (a sliding connection can be approximated by an infinitely long pivot) but we have slidenodes now, so yes. Strut front, leaf sprung solid axle rear, super basic and light.

No, not a professional (at mesh modelling) but I do my research! I'm a mech engineer with more solidworks experience than anything software wise but I remember making some cars for Need for Speed 3 when I was a kid haha!

The stock version of this car weighed around 1650lb, with a 1200cc engine and 4spd, and most versions came with drum brakes all around, recirculating ball steering, a transverse leaf in combination with struts in the front, and a leaf sprung solid rear axle. Not very inspiring to drive except for the nostalgia value!

The sportier version I will build will replicate my actual car, with an 1800cc 3tc with sidedraft carbs and other goodies, 5spd, AE86 front suspension and brakes, rack and pinion steering conversion. The larger mechanical components bring the weight up to around 1725lb.

11. mtchll3

mtchll3
    Expand Collapse

i think they have slide nodes now

12. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Spent the last few hours working on the engine bay/rad support, as well as the rear floorpan. I included a quick little render, some of the smoothing groups problems are obvious but hey it still looks cool. Wheels are not mine and won't be in the mod, I'll cook up something!

Screenshot 2014-06-24 00.34.29_2.png

Screenshot 2014-06-24 00.33.33_2.png

Screenshot 2014-06-24 01.54.09_2.png

Screenshot 2014-06-24 02.05.01_2.png

#12 Goosah, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

It's really nice! I can't see any imperfections from the renders, and the chassis looks right as well. I really look forward to seeing this finished, it shall be a joy to drive, especially with a few aftermarket goodies *4A-GE*. As far as wheels, anything old school is good, the Igeta's on your KE17 work nicely, as do the gold ones (can't remember the name) on the other one.

Also, do you have much experience with the jbeam? for a model this good, I'd strongly suggest making one from scratch.

14. Blockman

Blockman
    Expand Collapse

Wow, that's a very good model.

15. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I decided to try and pop my cherry on the side of importing to the game as a break from working on the mesh.

After trying to learn Blender, I realized with the help of this thread: 3dsMax-Collada-Export I was able to use OpenCollada with 3dsmax, which is what I modelled in, to get it right in the game. The stuff about freezing transforms was very important so that the bumpers and lights and things weren't all over the place. I have no understanding what's going on there but the process described seems to work.
    Screenshot 2014-06-24 18.57.04v.jpg

Obviously this is just sticking my mesh onto the covet internal components and jbeam, but it taught me the process! I just scaled my body shell till it matched the covets wheelbase. Not that far off, but wrong wheel drive haha.
    From here, figure out jbeam and materials/maps and I'll have all the pieces of the puzzle, just with a lot of labor required!

Thanks, and thanks to the others for the encouragement! I am a fan of the Igettas (mine are ancient Rota copies ssshhh), the others are called Techno TRVs (they are real). I call them "baby mesh" haha. 4age is definitely doable!

#15 Goosah, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  16. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

Its looking great so far. Good job :D

17. Blockman

Blockman
    Expand Collapse

Loving it!

18. joes123

joes123
    Expand Collapse

LOL I love little Toyota's like this there cool and fun to play around with I saw only ever 2 in real but knowing there is barely any left no wonder why. But any how keep up the great work.

19. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

I love old Toyotas and you are making them justise:eek:
    Great modeling!

20. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

Bumping this back on top where it belongs.
    Damn beautiful car man. I am speaking about both the model and you real life car. I really hope you also plan to texture it like your drift car. That awesome bonnet has to be ingame. I love the design revealing everything under the hood :)
    Can't wait to see more. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice