[Tutorial] How to change vehicle sounds.

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Stratosphere, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Stratosphere

Stratosphere
    Expand Collapse

This tutorial should help you if you want to change the sounds of a vehicle. If you have any questions or problems just ask.

Step 1; Find your sounds, sounds can be sourced by a simple Internet search or by making your own. For this tutorial I will be using Ferrari F40 sounds from Forza 4. You will need at least 4 sounds, an idle, low, medium, high. You can also add a limiter sound if you wish. (Please be aware that if you are using someone else's sounds you will not be able to upload the mod to the repository, but you can share it in the mods and skins section).

Step 2; Find which car you want to change the sounds for, I will be changing the sounds for the Civetta Bolide.

Step 3; Making the folder structure, the folder structure is like so, you will first need a vehicles folder and then a folder that corresponds to the name of the vehicle. For example 'super' for the Civetta Bolide. Each vehicle has a separate folder, you can find which vehicle uses which folder here. If you are making sounds for a mod, then find out what that mod's folder is, this can be done by opening the .zip file (with WinRAR or windows file explorer). Then it should show a 'vehicles' folder, click on that and then another folder will appear with the name mod's folder. e.g modzipfolder/vehicles/foldername. In addition to the folder you have just created, you will need another folder which is also in the /vehicles directory, this folder is named 'enginesounds'. Also inside the enginesounds folder you will need to make another folder which will house your sounds, name this folder the same name as your car's name e.g. /enginesounds/super. You will also need a folder inside the mod's name folder, (for me inside the 'super folder') named sounds. Your directory should look like this.

Step 4; The .SBEAM file, the next step is to create a text file inside the sounds folder, the file should be at /vehicles/super/sounds. Name the first part of the file whatever you like just make sure you put _sounds at the end, for example name_sounds.SBEAM I normally name mine the same name as the car. e.g. super_sounds.SBEAM. Be sure to save the file as an .SBEAM file. Inside this file put this as a base;

{
    "modifiers":[
    ["name", "source", "factor", "offset", "min", "max"],
    ["engine_throttle", "engineThrottle", 1, 0, 0.65, 1],
    ["turbo_throttle", "throttle", 0.5, 0, 0.3, 0.6],
    ],
    "sounds":[
    ["group", "filename", "profile", "nodeName", "source", "factor", "offset", "minVolume", "minPitch", "maxVolume", "maxPitch", "pitchBlendInStartValue", "pitchBlendInEndValue", "volumeBlendInStartValue", "volumeBlendInEndValue", "volumeBlendOutStartValue", "volumeBlendOutEndValue", "volumeModifiers", "pitchModifiers"],
    ["default", "vehicles/enginesounds/foldername/yourcar_idle.ogg", "AudioDefaultLoop3D", "ENGINE", "rpm", 1, 0, 0, 0, 0.8, 21.12, 0, 20000, 0000, 200, 2000, 3000, ["engine_throttle"], [] ],
    ["default", "vehicles/enginesounds/foldername/yourcar_low.ogg", "AudioDefaultLoop3D", "ENGINE", "rpm", 1, 0, 0, 0, 0.9, 7.4, 0, 29000, 1500 , 2500, 2500, 3500, ["engine_throttle"], [] ],
    ["default", "vehicles/enginesounds/foldername/yourcar_mid.ogg", "AudioDefaultLoop3D", "ENGINE", "rpm", 1, 0, 0, 0, 1.0, 3.94, 0, 22000, 2500, 3500, 4000, 5500, ["engine_throttle"], [] ],
    ["default", "vehicles/enginesounds/foldername/yourcar_high.ogg", "AudioDefaultLoop3D", "ENGINE", "rpm", 1, 0, 0, 0, 1.2, 2.62, 0, 20000, 4000, 5000, 9000, 9500, ["engine_throttle"], [] ],
    ["default", "vehicles/enginesounds/foldername/yourcar_limit.ogg", "AudioDefaultLoop3D", "ENGINE", "rpm", 1, 0, 0, 0, 1.2, 2.62, 0, 21000, 9000, 9500, 999998, 999999, ["engine_redline"], [] ],
    ],
    }

It should now look like this;

We will come back to this file later so make sure you save it.

Step 5; Choosing, naming and converting your sounds, you should have at least four sounds, if not five. Your sounds may be in an unknown format, hopefully they are named, idle, low, medium, high, limit or at least named with the rpm's. To convert you sound into a playable format, do an Internet search and that should turn up some results. Fortunately my sounds come with a towav program, so I can just drag my sounds over it and they will be converted. My sounds are named by RPM so I will name them accordingly. Name your sounds with your car's name first, then _idle,_low, _mid, _high or _limit (if you have five sounds). For example mine would be super_idle, super_low, super_mid, super_high, super_limit. Your sounds should now be .wav or any other playable format, next download a program called 'audacity', this will convert the sounds to .ogg, (this is what BeamNG uses). Download it here. Open your sound with audacity, then click file, export audio, the name should be the same, make sure you click save as type, then .ogg, be sure to save it in the same folder as your .wav sounds. After you have repeated the process you should have 4/5 .ogg sounds. You can delete the .wav sounds now. It should now look like this.

Step 6; Finalizing the .SBEAM file and packing your file, first we are going to make some more changes to the .SBEAM file. Change the yourfolder to match up with your directory, my directory is vehicles/enginesounds/super, so I would replace your folder with super. Next replace the yourcar with the name of your sounds, so I would replace mine with super, if you only have four sounds, delete the whole line which has the fifth sound in. After this we are done with the .SBEAM file so save it and close it. To pack our file and make it into a mod we are going the use WinRAR which can be downloaded from here. First right-click on your vehicles folder and click add to archive, then name it, I will name mine 'test'. Then where it says archive format click .zip, then click ok. You should now have an archive which is named whatever you named it, move this folder to /documents/beamng.drive/mods.

Step 7; Enjoying your sounds, you are now finished! Go and test your sounds, if you don't like them then simply remove the archive from your mods folder. If you have any problems, then reply with your problem.

Hope this helps,

Thanks, Stratosphere.

#1 Stratosphere, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 8
  2. charl

charl
    Expand Collapse

I have been trying custom engine sounds for a few months with many similar methods, and when I use files that I made myself (upon spawn/ reset) my computer tells me "failed to create resource (is the file missing)" and then shows the directory I've provided. If you know what could be wrong please tell me.

3. Stratosphere

Stratosphere
    Expand Collapse

Make sure your directories match up in the .SBEAM file, send me you file and I will try and fix it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. charl

charl
    Expand Collapse

Ok. Thanks!

5. Stratosphere

Stratosphere
    Expand Collapse

Just PM it to me or something.

6. charl

charl
    Expand Collapse

7. Stratosphere

Stratosphere
    Expand Collapse

Done, PM'd it to you. Lots of changes had to be made. The folder structure, .SBEAM file and the sounds were corrupt.

8. James 132

James 132
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty confused can anyone help me because I'm not sure how to do that????

9. St3v3th3d0g

St3v3th3d0g
    Expand Collapse

do what?

10. Stratosphere

Stratosphere
    Expand Collapse

I will try to help if you can say what your issue is.

11. James 132

James 132
    Expand Collapse

Nvm I got it to work, but Thanks tho. :):)

12. rryz19

rryz19
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much!! I've been looking for a way to understand the .sbeam file texts and hopefully i'll be able to release mods for custom sounds of vehicles

• Like Like x 1
  13. Remington

Remington
    Expand Collapse

I've looked around and I can't really find a place where there are any sounds. Any suggestions? I hope to make a sound mod soon. (Apologies for the bump)

14. rryz19

rryz19
    Expand Collapse

try http://sonory.org/download-samples.html

I think you'll like it.

Lol, Speedy reply wasn't it?

15. Stratosphere

Stratosphere
    Expand Collapse

Hi, here is where I get my sounds. It is a full sound pack which contains sounds from NFS: Shift 2.
    http://streetlegalmods.com/downloads/game/sounds/3672?a=dl

16. Remington

Remington
    Expand Collapse

17. Remington

Remington
    Expand Collapse

18. rryz19

rryz19
    Expand Collapse

Download 7-zip. It extracts those files and it's free.

19. kurama49

kurama49
    Expand Collapse

Awsome tutorial! nice and detailed.

Though, one problem I've been having, after creating everything, all the sound files, converting them to .OGG , And making the .SBEAM file and Folder structure for the D-series it I get no sounds at all in game? no error messages or anything, just no sound at all.

20. minecraftman1025

minecraftman1025
    Expand Collapse

I made custom sounds for the Bruckell LeGran and I get no sounds in the game

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice