Tires too slippery? D.I.Y. more grip

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by ariluggaz, Aug 7, 2015.

1. ariluggaz

ariluggaz
    Expand Collapse

Hi again!

I made this quick tutorial for you guys. I noticed that there is too little grip and it's just too unrealistic to me. My own car with shitty tires can corner bigger speeds than these cars!

Unzip file - - - open super_wheels_r.jbeam (for example, with notepad++) - - - bigger friction coef (for example 1.30 to 1.40 , don't over shoot it)- - - Zip it back to the zip format - - - TADAA!

If you notice that the grip is exelent, but the car keeps rolling over too easily, add more mass on those wheels - - - more Nodeweight

Ari / Finland

Attached Files:

• beamtires.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  2. clayton8or

clayton8or
    Expand Collapse

What corners do you try to take in your vehicle?

What is your vehicle?

What vehicle are you comparing yours to in beamng?

What surface are you driving on?

Are you using a steering wheel?

If not do you drive your real car with a keyboard?

If so... nevermind

Adding grip to the tires will make the car roll over because its so grippy that it flips the car over... adding weight to the tires makes the tires act as if they were made with lead rims...

3. ORIGIN4LFluffy

ORIGIN4LFluffy
    Expand Collapse

I don't think grip is really a major problem right now. The cars handle fine. I drive a car somewhat similar to the Grand Marshall (in size and weight, not suspension or technology) every day and it feels right. Not exactly slippery, but lethargic, like a full size sedan should (though mine doesn't feel as lethargic since it's slightly lighter and way newer). Yes I do use a wheel with Force Feedback and pedals.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Check the G force meter in game, you'll find the cars will pull the same force as a real vehicle does while cornering. This lack of traction people experience is simply bullshit and usually comes down to people misjudging their speeds in game versus a real vehicle or thinking need for speed or something is realistic.

• Like Like x 2
  5. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

(imported from here)
    It's the super... and I don't see anything wrong with people wanting to DIY arcade mode the game for their own personal use.

Giving out instructions is okay too.. at least he didn't release an "Anyone can do this" pack of cars.

And for that I thank him.

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing he need not do...

You seem to be comparing a modern car with more likely newer technology than the 80s supercar you are modding in-game.

Also the cars have perfectly fine grip the tire wall just collapses too easily right now and I believe they are working on a fix for that, I could be wrong and they could have already fixed this but I believe that the cars may still have this issue.

It causes dramatic understeer in corners under throttle.

Try backing off from the throttle when entering tight corners at the vehicles limits you'll find the car can pull it's self into the corner without much issue this way.

6. jackh4x

jackh4x
    Expand Collapse

I honestly cringe when people question the physics core in this game. Such lack of knowledge and facts to back up there claims.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. bassie10

bassie10
    Expand Collapse

Facts and knowledge don't make the feeling. I've got enough real car experiences to some of the similar BeamNG cars and denying the facts some cars just don't feel right. The things I really like is the sense of speed and small bump feeling compared to other "realistic" driving games that won't give you the same feel untill you reach 200+ kmh, but especially the Civetta should oversteer a lot less and turn in a lot better compared to a real life Honda Civic/Seat Ibiza. The Pessima feels way more on point as a FWD car then the Civetta. The RWD cars are better, but the don't have that snap back if you gain traction after a drift/slide. Purely based on driving experience and feel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

You're right in a sense. While on paper the cars handle realistically, pulling realistic g-forces and breaking traction at appropriate times, the "feel" is still off. While I don't have a FFB wheel to truly experience the car's handling, cars just handle really flat and sluggishly, and it's hard to sense the limit of the car's tires, that breaking point into under/over steer. Add that to a lack of motion blur and dynamic camera (the kind that pulls away from the car as it accelerates), which causes an inability to have a sense of speed, and it's easy to see why the handling is constantly criticized.

9. ariluggaz

ariluggaz
    Expand Collapse

I use steering wheel. You don't have to put so much weight on those tires, ofcourse not. Tarmac seems too slippery for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with this post. I don't have the facts and etc, but I have almost 10year driving experience with my car and my job in army was driving vehicles. There is a different feeling and some oversteer issue in the corners. Different countries have different type of tires. In finland we have wheels for summer and winter or all-round wheels (Less grip than summer tires.)

Some said about "they are 80's cars". I have a 1982 Ford Taunus and it's not the best one in corners, but you can drive pretty tight corners 100km/h without understeer or oversteer. I drove my fathers Chevrolet caprice 1991 and it's a real boat and know how it feels in real life too.

10. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

So basically Road Tires, that are likely to be able to handle rain I imagine without having too much tread reducing grip.

And than the cheap solution of using ALL-SEASON tires that aren't too bad in the summer months but really aren't any better really than the normal summer tires in winter

And than the winter tires built for the purpose of giving you that extra bit of necessary grip in snow and ice in the cold winter months.

Doesn't sound much better/different than what we have in CANADA

Although on our Truck we just have All-Terrain tires that our mechanics always fill up with likely what is twice the required amount of air.
    So those have bad road noise, less surface area touching the tarmac and likely less gas mileage, but they look bad ass, are good in the rain and handle snow better than 95% of the vehicles one the road.

Now this was a bit of a bump on a thread no one has said anything on for 3 weeks, however you've made a decent contribution to the thread, so it isn't really an issue.

11. Tobyto

Tobyto
    Expand Collapse

The tracks in BeamNG are very bumpy. So if you have that in real life you will have quite same less grip. If the track ingame is more even, i have enough grip to turn a front wheel car at 50 mph into a sharp corner, especially if the corner is in a transition from downhill to uphill. Overall I think, the experience is very realistic. I hope to get a slider especially to reduce the rumble and vibration on the wheel. That is way too much and not realistic. I want to crank up the steering force for a nice center string feel but then the vibration would kill my wheel and my neighbours! ... btw .. love that game :cool:

#11 Tobyto, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  12. monobrau

monobrau
    Expand Collapse

You have to remember that most of these cars are ROAD vehicles, built for comfort, not speed. Most of these cars have tires built for comfort, not for taking a hairpin turn at 600 mph. The civetta is a super car, but it's from the 80's, and tires from those decades were like driving on tires made of lego bricks.

13. Instant Winrar

Instant Winrar
    Expand Collapse

Set the game to Neptune gravity and you have more grip. It's not that hard.

14. TheMohawkNinja

TheMohawkNinja
    Expand Collapse

I don't know why people are complaining about this. It's not the lack of realistic grip for normal civilian cars that's the issue (nobody is actually complaining about that), the issue (as the OP specified) was in the higher tier cars.

If we're going to do some serious racing in this game, tires that match the specs of the ones on my 2012 Ford Fusion just aren't going to cut it.

15. bonami2

bonami2
    Expand Collapse

1 example of lack of tire traction

Go sideways on ice at 140kmh and hit the ground and it just slide on it like nothing...... That on the test map

Real life the rubber at high speed wont flex from an impact on Solid from sliding to hitting it,,,,,, IT will bump and the vehicle will flip

In slow motion you can see car tire having a hard time following the steering so that cause too problem with high speed turning.. I have a g27 on 520 turn setting so maybe it too aggresive idk

* tie rods Dont flex.. They break..

But anyways am still having so much fun... ;)

16. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

No it wouldn't, there is no lack of traction.
    If you could back up your claims that would be great.

17. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

In what way is this realistic? There's no way this would happen.

#17 Dummiesman, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Event Horizon

Event Horizon
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG tire physics, while far from perfect, are really good. It's not hard to pull 1g+ turns which is pretty realistic. And if you have a car with a non-high center of gravity, it will not flip if sliding on ice and suddenly hitting normal tarmac. I bet if you did the same test with the van or suv gravil models, it will flip upon hitting tarmac.

19. Tobyto

Tobyto
    Expand Collapse

For me it looks really nice and realistic. I mean, that change of the grip is immense, the transition is almost non existent. And that car is sliding at a very, very high speed. Watch it in slow motion. You can see, that the tyres stay grounded for a while. Then bringing the car to tilt. Then to a light lift. Step by step. Then the car flips more and more and after the next contact it goes wild. If you watch it real time, you might think it just flies up and around with too much force. But in slow mo the picture is more clear. Imagine that speeds and forces in reality. For that maybe look up some real life rally car crashes, when they go i.e. from gravel to tarmac and get to much grip too fast. Then go back to your video. (of course the Beam engine needs some more tweaking)

20. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

1.) Tire friction is largely independent of speed, if anything, drops 5-10% in a high speed slide compared to low speed one

2.) Basically any rally video where a car flips on a ice to pavement transition is also been tripped by a ledge, rut, wall, etc, or from a "tank slapper" after overcorrecting a slide. When that happens, weight transfer is mostly to blame, not the tire. On perfect flat surface transition like you see in DM's video (where he set the friction coefficient to 10 or so I'd imagine) a car will generally not flip. A tall SUV with weak dampers might be unlucky, but that is quite a different story. A tire doesn't just generate a friction coefficient of 10 just because it was previously on a slippery surface, when going around a corner it can only manage 1 and change. In fact it won't generate any higher friction at all.

As for the original poster's suggestion, upping the frictionCoef of the tire is not going to make the car handle properly at all. It might pull as many G as you want but it will take half the steering lock to get there because the tire isnt stiff enough. If you want better tires, you have to make the tire beams stiffer as well as the friction coef higher. Just as in a real tire, where you have to match the stickier rubber with stiffer belts.

• Like Like x 8
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice