1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Thermal Simulation Feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Diamondback, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClassyClassic

ClassyClassic
    Expand Collapse

I agree, using extreme cases does not help make the point. The Bel Air is too weak to be representative, and the Imperial is way too strong to do so. I don't know anything about that Polish design, but I believe it.

#81 ClassyClassic, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. robert357

robert357
    Expand Collapse

Lucjan Łągiewka

3. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

Exactly, the bel air is one of the worst cars ever design as far as structural stability goes. So how is it anymore fair to compare THAT exact car against an 09 Impala or malibu or whatever that thing was, but I can't compare the Imperial (a 60's car) versus that Caddy Hearse (a 70's car).

I'm glad you see that point now. It's not that cars are being made STRONGER, it's that they're being made SAFER. To me, strength in a vehicle is whichever one can still drive after the wreck, the stronger car will still be mobile. The 59 bel air versus 09 chevy is much more drastic a difference in car design and quality than a 70's caddy versus a 60's Imperial. People think that cadillacs are tough as hell, but they need a lot of welding to be strong. They are weak otherwise. But the 59 bel air is like butter in comparison to even the caddy. They aren't even that good after welding them up, just a poor design all around.

I also want to point out, Driverr, that you did originally say that newer cars were "stronger" than older cars. The cockpits are made stronger, in a sense, yes, but they are much more easily immobilized in lower speed hits (not highway speed) than older cars are. And yes, you said they were STRONGER, and I made my point saying they're not really stronger, just safer, etc... etc... This is a stupid argument, older cars are tougher, they can handle the abuse. But in my mind, that test just shows that at highway speeds both cars are immobilized, therefor the test really only showed which car was safer, not which car was stronger. You have to think about these things from the point of view of BeamNG for example. There are no drivers, nobody ever dies. Your car either makes it through the crash, and is still driveable or it isn't.

Just because you're a mechanic doesn't mean you're the smartest person in the world about cars and that I don't know what I'm talking about lol. I strip cars, I wreck cars, I work on my own vehicles 90% of the time. I have seen tens of thousands of cars get junked right before my very eyes. And I'm going to continue doing this.

Edit:

Damn, I just realized how off topic this all was. But back to radiators. (seriously, I'm really sorry)

ANyways, as I was saying, the shock bumpers of the 70's, like what is on the moonhawk should offer pretty great protection for the radiator. A steel grille would probably help some, but I'm sure it's a plastic one since it's a mid 70's lamebox.

#83 Mopower77, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  4. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

Not as big OT, cuz we're talking about things, that should or shouldn't change something in thermal simulation, radiators durability are part of it.

I've seen it from beginning. Old cars can take a damn lot of low speed crashes, while modern would crumple and die fast. What I meant was that "cabin" in modern cars are way stronger, than in older cars. And overall structure from 2012 are getting better too, in some cases stronger than 60/70's. For sure 60's and 70's cars can take more beating than newer cars, and those cars will ALWAYS perform WAY better in derby events. But overall chassis strength in terms of kinetic energy received at once, will look better in new ones. One high speed crash for example at ~110km/h and it looks like modern cars are not only safer, but stronger too. Old cars will start to crumple as hell, they are stronger to some point, because they are stiff, but if you exceed that limit they start to fold like a paper, don't absorb energy well and crumple more. But even low speed examples looks ok now, if we talk about 2010+. We had Hyundai i40 T-bonned hard and was sent from insurance company to scrap, we crashed 2 cars in to it to the back and to the front, it looked funny that BMWs e30 and e36 after around 35km/h hits were unable to drive on their own, while this Hyundai looked fine, in back only bumper and trunk got damaged, trunk caved like 1cm that's literally all, and in front it got bumper, light, radiator, hood and fender damaged overall structure was still fine, and was still working and driving in emergency mode. Now my father now own Hyundai i40 since 2011 :) . Looking at car crashes compilations, shows how badly common 90's cars behave compared to 2010+ cars, A-pillar caved against half length of hood crumpled.

Well of course, sometimes it may look that I pretend like this, just because I have my own knowledge, my own experience, but really I base on the knowledge of experts mostly. I watch a lot of informative videos, talk with enginieers, read a lot of articles sometimes books too. But if I know that I told something which isn't true, because of lack of my knowledge I can admit to my mistakes. - I try my best to not talk bullshit, but it sometimes may happen (usually because of my weak English skills I'm saying not what I wanted to).

Actually cars strength is an objective point of view, in some cases modern could perform better, while in other scenario older will take more beating.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, just miscommunication between us was most of it, seems we agree on most topics.

6. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

So, maybe this is the wrong thread but it's still a thermal question. Are the tires affected by thermal simulation?

7. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

No, not yet. Certainly something we will look into in the future though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. matty_the_legend123

matty_the_legend123
    Expand Collapse

When I use the 'Ignite Vehicle' and 'Ignite Node' Options, I don't find it that realistic. I think that BeamNG.Drive should add a more realistic fire for example, the car becomes darker and darker and the parts start to burn off or become smaller as to a real life fire, and the smoke isn't that realistic it is just a little bit of it, I was thinking that you could make the smoke seem more realistic (like thicker and more of it) I wanted this to be added in 0.5.5 (but didn't have an account then and I am new) because when I click on the 'Ignite Vehicle' button and then 'Extinguish Vehicle' It looks as if nothing has happened to it which is boring. If you don't find this useful then I apologize for being a pain.
    --- Post updated ---
    When I use the 'Ignite Vehicle' and 'Ignite Node' Options, I don't find it that realistic. I think that BeamNG.Drive should add a more realistic fire for example, the car becomes darker and darker and the parts start to burn off or become smaller as to a real life fire, and the smoke isn't that realistic it is just a little bit of it, I was thinking that you could make the smoke seem more realistic (like thicker and more of it) I wanted this to be added in 0.5.5 (but didn't have an account then and I am new) because when I click on the 'Ignite Vehicle' button and then 'Extinguish Vehicle' It looks as if nothing has happened to it which is boring. If you don't find this useful then I apologize for being a pain.

9. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

Waiting..... Would be cool to see it done, especially with how good the tires are already. Seeing the tires heat up and even effect the psi would be awesome. I think you guys have potential to be an actual simulator.

10. matty_the_legend123

matty_the_legend123
    Expand Collapse

What do you mean by I think you guys have potential to be an actual simulator.

11. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

Exactly what it says. It's close, but not quite yet.

• Like Like x 2
  12. FalloutNode

FalloutNode
    Expand Collapse

U Wot not yet a simulator?o_O

13. matty_the_legend123

matty_the_legend123
    Expand Collapse

Oh Ok :):)

14. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

And they just teased that they're working on brake pad temps, which AC doesn't have. So, yeah. Still waiting for tire thermals, especially since it could be calculated on a per node basis, giving more potential heat dissipation simulation closer to actuality.It's also cool that not only are they doing the same Pacejka curve for the tires slip angles as every other game, they also went the extra step to also include the tires rotational velocity. However, based on that little blog post I read about it, he basically guesstimated the curve, so it'd be cool to get actual data for it.

15. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, one of the things with physics that's always in the background. Isn't it funny that when we think about it, stuff like heat physics are actually some really essential and crucial aspects of real physics.

16. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

In my blog post I showed how our test results compared to some tire data I found available on the internet. To date I have found more data, the tire model has gone through several major overhauls, and well, that blog post is quite out of date. We are much much closer to our targets than I think a lot of people realize ;) Time for a new blog post, soon...

• Like Like x 6
  17. Dagalufh

Dagalufh
    Expand Collapse

Can't wait to read that post! :) Keep up the good work!

18. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

Agreed, also excited for it. I like reading technical details.

19. Destroyer247_52

Destroyer247_52
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone else noticed this setting? The Thermal Preheat setting in the Gameplay section of settings. I never even knew it was there until now. It makes the game even more realistic in the Thermal section.

Attached Files:

• 20160523155910_1.jpg
  20. Bison

Bison
    Expand Collapse

Just a question. If the engine block get hot enough and then plunged into water, the block will crack from the unequal cooling, thus rendering the engine unusable. Will/is this be/is implemented?

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice