1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

splitscreen using multiple instances

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by stbest95, Jan 7, 2017.

1. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

now before you tell me about the hundreds of other threads about this topic -
    i know about them and this is going in a different direction.

the general consensus seemed to be that it is nearly impossible to run two different views at the same time at reasonable fps.

however, it seems to be easily possible to run two instances of the game at the same time.
    (sorry for the shaky phone-recording but this was quickest way to show what i mean without sacrificing framerate)

so do you think it might be possible to have a multiplayer mode that runs in two instances on the same computer?
    or have the graphics engine running in two instances while the physics run in a seperate shared process?
    im not much of a computer expert but i thought something going in this direction might be a way around the graphics engines limitations.

im interested in your opinions on this.

edit: oops wrong category - would be nice if an admin could move this

2. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

Interesting concept
    But. How do you think this is going to work ? Windows cant have 2 active programs at once. So you can only play on one game at a time.

3. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

it is possible to control 2 programs at the same time, there are tutorials online how to play a game in two instances on one computer.

4. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

I think he tries to showcase it would be possibe hardware-wise rather than showing how to do it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

Ok thx for letting me know .. Didnt know

I am aware of that. My point was if windows could handle 2 programs beeing used at once

6. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

yeah, i was actually surprised i could run two instances at 60 fps - and my system is far from powerful.

my point is mainly that if two instances of the game can run smoothly it might be possible to use this to create a working splitscreen mode (not by us, but maybe by the dev team).

7. Civetta Hale

Civetta Hale
    Expand Collapse

Yes, windows can. A long time ago I was playing Need For Speed III with my sister on a Windows XP
    --- Post updated ---

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice