WIP Beta released Klann linkage walking machines

Discussion in 'Land' started by Bernd, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Bernd

Bernd
    Expand Collapse

Something that has been collecting dust on my HDD for a while now, I really have to get to add a visible mesh, but currently I'm not in the mood to do so and other projects hold this back. Since 0.6 added a automatically appearing visualization (thanks again to tdev), it's visible ingame though, so I fixed it up to be uploaded :).
    There are two versions available, one big and one small.
    This is completely physics based, there is no fake lua or fake jbeam to get it moving.

Controls:
    Use manual mode, shift in first gear without applying gas, it will walk in it's preferred speed then. Spawning in the ground isn't a problem, it will elegantly lift itself up most the time ;). You can shift up to go a bit faster.

screenshot_00439.png

It's based on the Klann linkage leg system, more information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klann_linkage

I hope you like what's there so far :)

Note: this thing always shows up at the button of the vehicle selector.

Also, if there is anyone who would like to write lua code that controls thrusters from a controller input like
    when input "steer" > 0 then
    electrics.values "thrusters_left" = "steer"
    when input "steer" < 0 then
    electrics.values "thrusters_right" = "steer" * -1
    please contact me :).

Do not redistribute

Attached Files:

#1 Bernd, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 26
  2. Pervin.M

Pervin.M
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

cool it will be so good to destroy cars

3. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Wow, this is awesome :D

Thanks so much for sharing, really appreciated :)

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. brianvalk

brianvalk
    Expand Collapse

this machine is awesome its surprisingly stable, question was this difficult too make?

5. Bernd

Bernd
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for motivating me further :)
    Making anything possible is definitely possible with this game!
    --- Post updated ---
    It took quite a while to get it stable, and I've also learned how to use rotators and correctly set up engines while making this thing, what made it frustrating now and then. The leg system was pretty easy though, since the wikipeda article includes the positions of all points :).

I have been using the Jansen's linkage in a first version, I think I'll make one with that again, it just failed since I only used two legs, but it requires 6 legs to work smoothly. If I get that to work, we'll have a smoother running, faster and better at offroading version :).

6. RyvyLo

RyvyLo
    Expand Collapse

I really didn't expected it to be so stable ! ( well already rolled it a few times, but I'm pushing it to the limits )
    It can climb stairs !
    screenshot_00276.png
    I know what I'm gonna do for the next few days, gotta expand my vehicle testing area and see what this can crawl over. After that, I'll see what I could and what I couldn't do for some potential scenarios :D
    Seeing a visual mesh with structural beams will be so great ! And I hope that you will do that spider skin, gonna be fun ! ;)

7. Bernd

Bernd
    Expand Collapse

It might become even better with a additional pair of legs, having 4 ones is just the minimal amount for this linkage (8 for smooth sterring). Or some sort of rubberish suspension under the legs, we'll see :).
    And yes, spiders+ your scenario skill + my weird ideas will give a nice combination ;).

8. RyvyLo

RyvyLo
    Expand Collapse

Nice !
    I have some ideas too, even if they might not be as weird as yours ;)
    Like, for example some legshields that makes this machine a walking wall of terror ( with a really big version of this machine ), or an exterior appearance what will basically be the jbeams replaced with physical beams, for everyone to admire the great mechanisms of the Klan linkage
    Also do you think it would be possible to increase the maximum leg height ( couldn't find any better way to say it, I hope you understand ), for the machine to be able to climb bigger stair steps and cars ?

9. Bernd

Bernd
    Expand Collapse

The legshield thing sounds awesome! ;)
    I'm trying to implement a working exhaust that smokes a lot, that combined with a post apocalyptic /mad max design body should make a nice machine.
    About the legs, I think I can implement adjustable ridehight, even adjustable on the fly. And the bigger body will return, beeing faster, better at offroading and especially better at crushing cars :p.

10. Bernd

Bernd
    Expand Collapse

The big config drops a two times bigger, a lot faster (well, 15 km/h) and heavier version now :).
    Added to first post.
    screenshot_00466.png

#10 Bernd, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  11. brianvalk

brianvalk
    Expand Collapse

if this will take off i like a doable way of moding this could mean at-at walker at-st walker and alot more walking contraptions

12. Squatch32560

Squatch32560
    Expand Collapse

THis thing is sick as f. If you get this skinned and working good, this will become one of the best mods. Idk how possible this is, but the ability to turn

#12 Squatch32560, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bernd

Bernd
    Expand Collapse

@babylonian asked me to upload to two legged walking thingy test, so here it is. Dosent use realistic physics(weights under the ground), but is completely made with physics.
    You can "control" it with left and right keyboard buttons.

He is kinda drunken tho.

I once started to put similar physics on the crash test dummy, stopped working on it further though. Might work on it again or if someone is interested in it I can upload it too.

Attached Files:

#13 Bernd, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  14. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

who said you can't have "people" in cars?:p:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Remember me of those Beside modded walkers :p
    Seem interesting enough to download it ^^

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice