How do you overclock RAM?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Michaelflat, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

I have absolutely no idea, most tutorials are old and confusing, and on my motherboard you cant over volt ram, i dont know if you can in any other motherboard but here is what i have

32GB of Corsair Vengence ram@1600mhz
    Asus Z97-A

Tutorials are on about CAS timings, i will post what they are on my system.

Also is there any point in overclocking RAM (my CPU is at 4.4ghz -i5 4690k-)?

2. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Almost always you should overclock ram when you overclock your Cpu, to remove any sort of bottleneck between them.

There should be a setting saying "RAM speed" or something like that and you select in the drop down the speed you want your ram at.

It requires a z170 MoBo

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

This is complete false
    --- Post updated ---
    Overclocking CPU and not ram introduces no particular bottleneck or instability. Most people are also not bottlenecked by ram speed anyway leaving it pointless for most people to even buy the high frequency ram let alone overclocking it

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

ok then, I dont know much about ram really other than more is better (to a point)
    You cant just change RAM Speed, it lets you but its the equivalent of increasing CPU clock speed without changing voltage

5. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

That's about right, and it's more than fast enough these days to not have to bother with overclocking, or buying faster RAM.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice