Unsolved How do i duplicate a vanilla car

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Frank ツ, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Frank ツ

Frank ツ
    Expand Collapse

hello

Ive been working on a dragpickup to learn modding and stuff but since i want it to leave the original car stock i want to have a duplicate of it.

Im talking about the pickup truck.

My idea was to rename every file from the pick , does that gonna work, or do i need to rename every part in those files aswell?

Thanks

2. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Part names are what's relevant in this case.

If I were you, I wouldn't duplicate the whole vehicle, but rather make your custom parts separate and independent. This way, they can coexist with stock parts without overriding them, leaving your official vehicle intact.

Example:
    Code:
    {
    "pickup_body": {
        "information":{
            "authors":"BeamNG",
            "name":"Regular Cab",
            "value":4000,
        },
    [...]
    This is the header of the official pickup_body.jbeam file.

You can make a separate body part by having a separate file with a specific part name ("pickup_body"), like this:
    Code:
    {
    "pickup_custom_body": {
        "information":{
            "authors":"BeamNG",
            "name":"Regular Cab",
            "value":4000,
        },
    [...]
    If you edit the custom part to your liking, the stock one won't be affected in any way, and you'll still be able to select one or the other from the Parts Selector in game.

:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

Actually you just need to copy paste the whole pickup folder. There's no need to rename the files themselves. Especially for jbeam files the filename is not relevant at all, it's all about the part names within these files (e.g. "pickup", "pickup_interior", etc.)

There's one stumbling block for the pickup and roamer since these vehicles are using files from the common folder (which is shared between all vehicles). So if you would like to work on these kind of files you might to copy them as well in your folder, change the part name and change all the references to it otherwise your changes will not be visible.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice