Hard Drive Read Speed Half The Speed of Write

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by auzzie635, Jan 5, 2017.

1. auzzie635

auzzie635
    Expand Collapse

So I copied a game from my ssd to my hard drive and it was averaging about 100mb/s which meant the hard drive was topping out and my ssd obviously not being a bottleneck but as I was copying a game from my hard drive to my ssd and it was only pulling 50mb/s average. So I don't know what is going on but my ssd is rated for over 450mb/s read/write so again there is no bottle necking issue from the ssd. Anyone have an idea what could be going on.

2. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Write speeds are always slower than read speeds, so that seems right.

3. auzzie635

auzzie635
    Expand Collapse

It's the other way around (sorry If I wasn't clear on that) My write speeds are faster then my read speeds.

4. nicknfs

nicknfs
    Expand Collapse

Yes the numbers look about right. So when you were transferring the data from the hdd to ssd it got 50mb/s. It wasn`t the ssd that was slow but the hdd. When you were transferring the data the ssd could write the data really fast but the hdd couldn`t give it. The ssd cant write unknown data, it`s just impossible.

5. auzzie635

auzzie635
    Expand Collapse

I understand what you are saying but the hard drive should be able to send the information to the ssd faster then 50mb/s.

6. nicknfs

nicknfs
    Expand Collapse

Not necessarily. Different hard drives perform differently. The 2 top pictures are different hdd and the lowest one is an ssd

Attached Files:

• 73.png
    • 75.png
    • 77.png
    #6 nicknfs, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  7. auzzie635

auzzie635
    Expand Collapse

Ahh ok, It wasn't a big deal but I just found it somewhat interesting. (Btw if you made those screen shots that is a awesome ssd you have to get those speeds! :))

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice