General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I've never had a problem with Win10, but I'd still use Win7 if it had DX12 support :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

For me I can deal with not having access to the 6 games that are DX12 exclusive. All of which are Xbone ports. I certainly would love to buy and play Halo or Forza but personally I currently value my current Windows install more than those games.

3. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I now have my university timetable on my watch, so that whenever I have a lecture or workshop I can see easily what room I am in, what subject it will be and at what time.

I also now feel like a total badass.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Hmm is the trending page on YouTube area-based or is it consistent wherever you are?

A video filmed about 15 minutes away from my house is number 27 on YouTube's trending page and I'm really curious whether that's throughout the whole world or just here.
    yea I know it's not really computer related but General Discussion is no more and YouTube is on the internet so it kinda fits in.

5. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I would have thought that it would be based upon country. Upon looking at it mine seems to filled with US stuff and one video from about an hour away from me. So I couldn't say.

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I'm having issue with video stuff.

There are no Quick Sync option on OBS, only NVENC and x264 options, I think I should have the option as hardware should have it:
    i7 6700
    GTX 1050 Ti
    Z170 chip motherboard (Gigabyte Z170X-UD3)

Installed latest intel chipset driver, latest bios, nothing, can't see anything labeled QSV or quick sync in Bios.

I would like to use QSV as my GPU is not the strongest, but CPU could handle more load, but can it really be so that mobo does not support it?

I can of course use x264 if I use stationary camera and I get nice and small filesize with no meaningful image quality loss, but would like to be able to record moving camera too.

7. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

That is the most bottlenecked system I've ever seen. Why the heck do you have a non-K CPU on a Z series MoBo? Also, an I7 with 1050 TI? Yes. Much sense.

8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Probably because not having your wallet, perhaps you can send it over so I fix the issue, yes? :)

9. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Because Z offers more features than H170/H110/B150 outside of overclocking ability, like more PCIe lanes controlled by the chipset, for example. This can be handy for future upgrade things like NVMe storage, or multi-GPU setups if he so chooses. Speaking of multi-GPU setups, Z170 helps get SLI certification on motherboards because of the extra lanes offered by the chipset; it frees up lanes in the CPU. You can also find Z170 motherboards cheaper than H170 if you shop around enough, as the demand for them is a bit higher. Supply/demand there.

Also, you're talking about sense when you're the one who has been documented as to having spent a $60 premium on a hyperthreaded CPU only to have disabled hyperthreading (of which you have since re-enabled, but the point remains), and bought an RX 460 when a 1050 Ti is ~15% more and performs quite a bit better.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you on the CPU part, I should've gone with the Pentium G4400, but I did well GPU wise. It had a 10 dollar MIR, bringing the cost to $80, about 35-40 bucks cheaper than a 1050. I wouldn't really benefit from a 1050 either, because I don't play very GPU- bound titles.
    --- Post updated ---
    And about hyperthreading, that was a test. Not permanent.

11. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

And now I'll argue for IdiotBoy because I have nothing else better to do with my time. You ask for a bigger wallet, then spend a premium on an i7. I won't ask what you do to justify an i7 (mainly because I don't care), but an i5 would have saved you some pennies, performed alright in all tasks, and allowed you to invest money elsewhere, like in a GTX 1060.
    --- Post updated ---
    You still did it, I don't care if it was a test or not. And everything benefits from a faster GPU, even CPU-bound titles can.

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Indeed, this is quite snappy computer with NVMe drives on two of the M2 slots (no raid setup, is not needed) :)
    crystal_mark_results.png

I found out of what my problem was with QSV not showing up, it seems I'm stupid enough not to understand that Internal GPU must be enabled for QSV, that uses internal GPU, to function, luckily I'm enough old that I don't need to even attempt to be excellent, I'm happy if I keep my underwear clean whole day :p

i7 + ram upgrade to 16GB was 160 if I don't remember wrong, Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti was around same, so for 320 I think it was good upgrade over i3 without dedicated graphics and as I did spend more for Z170 motherboard when I bought i3, I'm getting everything out from new CPU too and I can still play without fans screaming and on desktop I don't need to have fans spinning at all most of the time.

Somehow pc fan noise is something I can't tolerate anymore, so I think for me 6700 was better one than K model would of been as I don't overclock anymore.

When I was younger, we did make our own waterblocks as you could not buy those yet, some old aquarium pump and car radiator with tabletop fan and self made shroud from cardboard, overclocking was important back then, can't be bothered witch such anymore, boring long life of components seems to be more interesting for me these days.
    --- Post updated ---
    Ah, but that is incorrect assumption by you, I got i7 + ram cheaper than what i5 would of cost, no premium here :)

13. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

So testing doesn't matter? Curiosity is bad? How do you think we have technology? Testing.
    And I know everything benefits from a better gpu, but in MY case, it wasn't worth it. Except for the overpriced cpu, my build is perfect for me and there's nothing you can say that will change that.

14. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully by the time I upgrade my PC, the i5 7600k will be cheaper and the general price of DDR4 will have gone down.

I'll also probably buy an SSD to reinstall Windows on.

#5534 Deleted member 1747, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Thatsanewone.jpg
    That's a new one

• Like Like x 1
  16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

The Sim City 3000 soundtrack is genuinely a masterpiece. I probably haven't heard it in about 10 years, very glad to have just heard it again.

The guy who made it has the "The Sims", "The Sims 2", "Sim City 3000" and large parts of the "Sim City 4" soundtrack to his name.

#5536 aljowen, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  17. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

Google Now launcher is being removed from the Play Store soon apparently.

But, they're releasing the API for developers so you can expect Google Now to finally be integrated into stuff like Nova Launcher!

They could also be making a Pixel-style launcher too, which would be pretty cool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Captain. Adam

Captain. Adam
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for giving me tears and nostalgia .
    PS : I still have the game ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    And I agree with you . The soundtrack is amazing especially the jazz music .

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Can't you just use the google search widget to add it into any launcher?
    --- Post updated ---
    Its kinda funny cause the Sim City 4 sound track seems to get a lot more attention, while it is also fantastic this one is equally as good and has some real standout tracks in it. I still have the game too, however it is at my parents house, equally I am not sure how it would play with Win 7 since I know Sim City 4 has some issues. But apparently there is a patched version on gog which is cool.

20. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

I meant Google Now cards, which show you stuff based on interests which you set and you can subscribe to articles from websites.
    I mostly use it for GSMArena articles.
    Some examples. You can literally swipe to get to the full Google App.
    Screenshot_20170203-205210.png Screenshot_20170203-205214.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice