General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Damage run down. Left side of rear bumper has a set of markings likely left by other car, looks like he probably only gave a little shunt right where you'd target in order to perform a PIT manoeuvre if you were aiming to do that deliberately (not saying they were deliberately doing it, that's just where they hit), entire right side of car is scraped up and dented from hitting barrier.
    Car doesn't track straight. It's not pulling left. It's not pulling right. It's pulling where it wants at any moment in time.
    Nasty grinding noise when turning or braking.
    By the time I'd babied it to where I was going, brakes flat out were barely working so I suspect I've severed a brake line and drained one of the 2 systems.

Been out today to get my stuff back. The front right wheel can be wobbles
    There is not one camera on the a45 between Northampton and Wellingborough. It was near a petrol station but still a ways off. I did check there if someone had pulled in that might be on their CCTV, nobody.

It's complete hit and run. Nothing but the minor paint transfer on my bumper to trace them by.

2. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Someone else around should have gotten the plate number. A bit cunty of them not to.

3. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Someone might have. If they did, they haven't turned it over to the police. Nobody checked to see if I'm alright either.
    Apparently modern day citizens are just complete arseholes.

Entire time from me first grinding to a halt, taking a breather, inspecting car and trying to drive away from the scene, nobody even slowed down

4. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

If I witnessed a hit and run I'd want to do everything in my power to get the plate number and a description of the driver, but I'd totally look like I'm playing cop. I don't want to look like I'm playing cop.

5. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

Oh I know, in the Alfa challenge, after the initial reveal of what they bought, and the scenes of them driving off, the producers had them load the cars on a truck, and left a minivan for the 3 of them to drive while the cars were carted to the racetrack. Jeremy's comment about James being late, implied this, since there were shots of him driving. And of course those Range Rovers are the camera cars, as seen in some other episodes.

I knew someone who spent way over than he should on a 1997 Mercedes-Benz SL600, picked it up for around 5 grand, done about 130k miles, and there were problems left and right, it had trouble starting sometimes, and of course, it was the V12, so alot more problems. And basically he spent pretty much 6x as what he paid in restoring it, and money-wise he would've been better off buying a brand new SL. Nonetheless, after basically spending what you can get for buying a small house, it's all done up nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BowlerHatJack

BowlerHatJack
    Expand Collapse

I somewhat expected that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

It bothers me when people let honking their horn to make a point take precedence over actually driving the car and avoiding a collision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Easy solution. Make the horn mouth operated and this won't be an issue. I got flipped off 3 times today for no reason at all. My friend was in the car for 2 of them and for the last one I dropped 2 gears and whipped around a car so we could both return fire with all 4 hands available in the car. I steered with my knees as the on ramp came, and It felt gooder than hell and I laughed yelling "fuck you too new York city!" The whole way home. Everyone is so rude these days, just keep it low and slow my homie.

9. machine

machine
    Expand Collapse

Gotta agree with that. Sometimes ppl have asked me why an earth I didn't press the horn. Because I focused on avoiding the crash, that's why

• Like Like x 1
  10. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

I don't seem to notice that behavior in my country.

11. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Horns, in my opinion, should only be used to warn another driver of an impending collision. I've yet to honk at anyone besides a short toot for a couple green light sitters. I don't like honking.
    It seems unnatural for your reaction to be to take a hand off the wheel when someone like that is happening. If there's ever a moment when you should be driving with 2 hands on the wheel, it's then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

It's typical city shit to be honest. NYC is just more famous for it because it's more famous. Half of the people in new York are what I would consider to be "disagreeable".

• Like Like x 1
  13. opkraut

opkraut
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

That seems a little suspicious. No reason at all? The chances of all 3 of those people having bad days is extremely slim. Are you sure you weren't doing something?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

As someone who lives in a city I would have to disagree. Horns rarely seem to get used where I live. I think it has a lot more to do with the culture of an area as opposed to whether it is built up or not. But then equally I don't have more than 40 hours of driving. Not sure if I would be less likely to hear horns while walking or cycling?

On a side note there is a local roundabout that has pedestrian crossings going across it (over the centre, not at the junctions like normal) and I had the green light to cross the road (3 lanes of turbo roundabout), I was on the final lane of crossing when I had to stop because a cyclist was riding round the roundabout in the opposite direction to traffic. Certainly took me by surprise when I noticed them out of the corner of my eye.

• Like Like x 1
  15. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

The car I drive is suspicious. It's not exactly quiet, and has enough goodies on it to be considered riced out. That's usually enough to get flipped off in new York alone. I NEVER speed unless I find another cool car to chase, and I can assure you I never hold up traffic. Here's one for you. I get my doors blown off by an middle aged man in a Hyundai sonata a week ago so I give chase. I follow him thru light traffic averaging something like 90 mph when we hit an off ramp leading to a red light. I see a lowered 90s civic and Rev at him and he revs back, than the challenger beside us joins in and all of a sudden a bunch of cars are making noise all the while the dude in the sonata looks pissed. At the next light he dips into oncoming traffic to pull up and say "loud but slow" before blowing the red light. Why? So many flavors and you chose salty you balding swine.
    I was more mentioning the general "fuck you" attitude drivers in larger cities seem to have. Not a rule, just a tendency. No need to cut me off just to be the first guy to slam the brakes for the red light.

16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

#5116 aljowen, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  17. CommonCat

CommonCat
    Expand Collapse

18. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Didn't realise that Daewoo didn't exist as a car brand any more, turns out they are now known as chevloret's in the UK. Strange to think that the Camaro is imported and sold by what was once daewoo...

19. umad41

umad41
    Expand Collapse

Toyota Is best WOOOOOO. But seriously, Toyota is my favorite, Just leaving that here

• Like Like x 1
  20. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

I've had three Toyota's, Liked them all.

First was a red '79 4x4 Hilux, traded a rifle for it and pulled it out of a field where it had been sitting since the early 90's. Evicted the squirrels and mice, cleaned the carb, (no rebuild) changed the oil and started it up. Had a 22R and a 4 speed, It had no power, but with the hugely steep gearing it had, it didn't need any. That little truck was an ox. Only problem it had was it was a Toyota, and what do Toyota's do? They Rust. A lot. Both frame rails were totally shot, the cab and the bed were leaning in on each other, but the bed was so gone that it started to collapse then. Now come what it probably my most "hack" thing I'd ever done, I bolted a 4x4 post along each frame rail, where it had rusted out. It "held", but I never took it on the road again, and ended up trading it off for something else.

Next Toyota I had was a red '88 4-Runner SR5. It was in great shape body wise, but it had a V6 and an automatic, both of which I hated, The V6 constantly overheated, after a new radiator and a new water pump, I gave up on it. I pulled the V6 and the auto out, and put a 22R and a 4 speed in it,and played with it until the frame rusted out on it too.

The last Toyota I had was a red 86 4wd pickup, they weren't called Hilux's anymore by 86, I only bought it for it's engine and transmission, so I could put in the 4-Runner. It had a 22R and a 4 speed like the 79 Hilux had, It was rusty beyond saving, even worse than the Hilux was,

I still kind of have an itch to get another one and put an SBC in it, and turn it into a little tire fryer, But I'd have to find one that wast totally rusted away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice