General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Collision was at 80mph. Lucky it's not my obituary rather than the cars

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt
    Expand Collapse

Last night, or early this morning rather, I took a friend of mine home after he'd been drinking, On my way home I found someone who tried to take themselves home after they'd been drinking, and parked his Duramax on it's driver's door, next to a telephone pole.

Really not sure how he put it there, as it was tucked between the guide wire and the telephone pole, with it's roof facing the road. and the truck wasn't tore up, just laying on it's side, I don't know if he did a roll and a half mid-air, or if he hit the ditch hard enough to put the truck up it's side, but if he had been 3 or 4 inches further from the road, he'd of hit the telephone pole.

When I got there the kid was climbing out, about 20 minutes later a sheriff's deputy and an ambulance arrived.

Kid driving told the deputy he was 17, his right arm was broken, but he was more worried about what his dad was going to say.

• Like Like x 1
  3. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

"Sorry dad, I parked your truck on its door. It was an accident that would have happened weather I was drinking or not, so let's not worry about that bit. Hide your keys better I guess"

• Like Like x 2
  4. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I was called to assist after a friend of a friend rolled his pathfinder in the middle of the night in a parking lot trying to do a rockford. When I showed up I learned that their plan was to report it stolen so the kid's dad wouldn't kill him for crashing his car. It was "stolen" out of a parking garage, on camera, and they rolled it in a school parking lot, on camera. I told him that his plan wasn't gonna work and went home.

• Like Like x 1
  5. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Oh dear lord please help me convince my dad to not buy the MX-5 that's for sale down the street from me.

It's an automatic. Why was that even an option in that car?

6. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

"Don't you want the full experience? They made, like, millions of those things; there are probably several on Craigslist right now that are manuals and in just as good or better condition."

7. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Recently i fell in Love with the Maserati biturbo would it be a Good ideal to own One? Im not intending to buy One but it would be interesting to know how it would be

8. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

A friend owned one and the only thing I can tell you is its a pile of garbage. He owned for less than a month before getting an old Mercedes 500.

9. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

Thats unfortunate what was wrong with it

10. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

A pretty safe general rule is that anything Italian with remotely sporting pretensions will be a blast to drive, but terrible to own. To modify a quote from Jeremy Clarkson, "[Italians] build a car to be as good as a car can be, briefly."
    He was talking about Alfa Romeo, but I think it can be expanded to include most others. Just watch Top Gear's £1000 Alfa Romeo Challenge or Budget Supercar episode to see what I mean.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

It really pisses me off when 2 or more people get into a minor accident, and then just stop in the middle of the damn road and screw traffic up.
    If no one is dead and your car can move under its own power, get the fuck out of the road. You aren't that important.

• Agree Agree x 7
  12. NismoR35

NismoR35
    Expand Collapse

Granted, I wouldn't really fully trust Top Gear's perspective, considering that those cars were most likely bought, pretty much more or less for entertaining purposes, like "what would the worst and cheapest I could find, for this episode to make things funny and interesting." However, they do have certain good points. But generally, it really depends on well the car's been maintained and such, like James' GTV, it looked relatively in good condition, well, apart from a bad clutch, and was a little surprised he had little to no damage from that overtaking moment Jeremy tried to pull off, and the multiple rear end collisions Hammond's done, apart from knocking off the license plate.

In reality, there's so many variables, like, how well has the previous owner kept it in good condition, if any repairs, if there were any weren't half-assed, or worst case scenario, the car was involved in an accident, and wasn't repaired, mechanically correctly and such. But given the general idea of how old Italian cars reliability were, I can't really say much, but wouldn't hurt asking for a thorough inspection by someone mechanically inclined, and a test drive. I don't suppose there isn't any type of accident/vehicle history report in Europe is there?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

It never ran right and it was very costly to have work done to it. Like a lot of Italian luxury cars, once something goes wrong you won't believe how quick that car will eat up 10k usd. It's the type of car that even if you can work in it yourself, the parts will still be a ton.
    --- Post updated ---
    It
    Also worth noting that each car has a van full of parts following it. You have NO idea what the producers will do to keep the show and their cars running. There is a shot one time showing the entire off camera convey. It was like 2 cargo trucks and 6 range rovers. Trust me, top gear is a TV show first car show second.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. If you treat a car badly it will do the same to you.

Not two old cars are alike.

15. Googlefluff

Googlefluff
    Expand Collapse

That's true, but as someone who has had experience owning a Fiat 500, I can say with confidence that Top Gear's general sentiments are true, if a little exaggerated :p The passenger seat and one of the seatbelts broke, one of the rear seat cushions detached, and it had a couple small electrical ghosts with less than 50,000km on the clock, but I loved that car and wish we could have kept it. I can only imagine what would be going wrong with it in 30 years, regardless of how well we kept up with maintenance. Sure, you can fix all the problems, but some cars will have more than others.

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

My car left scene of accident last night after contact at 80mph. No blocking traffic from me. It shouldn't have left, it's fucked

17. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

That blows.
    Don't you have a dashcam? Any video of the event?

18. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Well, think about it, at least you get a rexie a little sooner than anticipated.

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I sold dashcam while I was living at uni last year because I didn't have a car to put it in or enough money to buy food.

Effectively I was following the flow of traffic which in the lane I was in was moving at about 80mph. Saw Audi headlights approach in rear view mirror. Thought nothing of it. Felt a shunt from behind and that's it, rear of car slid sideways, did best i could to bring it in line but there's only so much you can do in an old car with old tires on cold damp ground at 80mph. Managed to scrub a fair bit of speed before my car hit dirt on the inside edge of the road and then more speed there, definitely felt car trying to roll as it hit the dirt but it thankfully didn't. Smashed into the crash barrier, skidded along that a bit and ground to a halt. Saw a zig zagging set of audi headlights ahead, they didn't stop, fucking knob jockeys were apparently lucky enough to recover and continue on their journey and then had the complete disrespect to not think about stopping and checking whether the person they just battered off the road is alright.

That could have literally killed me.
    --- Post updated ---
    Damage run down. Left side of rear bumper has a set of markings likely left by other car, looks like he probably only gave a little shunt right where you'd target in order to perform a PIT manoeuvre if you were aiming to do that deliberately (not saying they were deliberately doing it, that's just where they hit), entire right side of car is scraped up and dented from hitting barrier.
    Car doesn't track straight. It's not pulling left. It's not pulling right. It's pulling where it wants at any moment in time.
    Nasty grinding noise when turning or braking.
    By the time I'd babied it to where I was going, brakes flat out were barely working so I suspect I've severed a brake line and drained one of the 2 systems.

Been out today to get my stuff back. The front right wheel can be wobbled by hand.

• Like Like x 1
  20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Surely they should be able to get at least the reg number of the car, especially with the amount of CCTV on UK motorways. However it wouldn't surprise me if they don't find anything since often little effort is put into it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice