Solved Drive shaft strength

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by hog0005, Jan 12, 2017.

1. hog0005

hog0005
    Expand Collapse

Just wondering if there is some way to make the new drive shafts stronger? I keep snapping them since the powertrain update.
    I'm pretty sure that the code is all ok, I've been over it several times and I've been using the pickup for a base to work from, the easiest fix I have at the moment is to remove the torque reaction node assignments, as that seems to alleviate the problem.

2. Frank ツ

Frank ツ
    Expand Collapse

Im having the same problem since a powerupgrade on a car, im gonna look into it tomorrow , i already have some ideas to start with.

3. hog0005

hog0005
    Expand Collapse

just an update, I tried increasing node weights, reducing spring and damping values etc for the trigger beams. The only thing that seems to have made a difference is increasing the deform and break values, I guess they might be tied to torque limits.... That, or the suspension was flexing more than I thought and the extra strength is preventing the trigger beam from breaking when the suspension twists under load.... I'm thinking its probably the latter theory to be honest.

4. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Shafts only break from physical stress. So there is no maximum torque or anything that would make them break.

5. hog0005

hog0005
    Expand Collapse

No worries, thanks Diamondback.
    It looks like we need to design some stronger suspension components then to stop the pinion rotating until it snaps the drive shafts.

What car are you working on Bumblebee?

6. Frank ツ

Frank ツ
    Expand Collapse

I was doing some testing with a extreme powered nonrealistic pickup and my driveshaft kept snapping too instantly when touching the gaspedal , i removed the bed used the slowmo function and saw when i press the gaspedal the differential was going upwards (where the driveshaft/cardanaxle is connected) i changed the rear suspension from the ''live axle rear suspension'' to the ''3-link offroad live axle rear suspension'' and my driveshaft kept intact.

im testing now with a enginetorque of 23000nm and power of 15000 hp and the driveshaft keeps intact.

edit: 230000nm and 150000hp now still intact , i think how that stock rear suspension works/handles. you must prevent it from going upwards.

edit2 oke it snaps a few time with 150000.

im uploading a video now so you can see what im talking about
    --- Post updated ---

#6 Frank ツ, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

If you are just trying to make ridiculously high hp mods, you can find the driveshaft part jbeam and increase the bounds of the beam so it doesn't break from over extension. I wouldn't recommend strengthening the beam because it will probably break anyways and it will start to bind up the suspension.

8. hog0005

hog0005
    Expand Collapse

Nah I'm in the middle of reviving a heap of outdated off-roading mods and I'm running into a few issues getting the DW Bouncer stable, although the new powertrain is absolutely awesome.
    nothing will be released without previous authors permission but if all goes well we should have some very happy offroaders soon. ;)

Its a little of subject at the moment but I have put the stock TCS and ESC into it under a slot for wiring ie main-wiring-abs\esc. Every time I try to load the esc I get an exemption that "speed" returned a nil value. Would not defining torque reaction nodes cause this?
    --- Post updated ---
    Btw Bumblebee, how fast are you trying to go with that much power?
    --- Post updated ---
    This beast holds my pb of 6.4 over a quarter mile and it was only using roughly 5000hp. Needs to be updated and textured though.

Attached Files:

• miramar_drag10.jpg
    • underbody.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Frank ツ

Frank ツ
    Expand Collapse

This was purely for testing , the pickup now has around 2500hp and 4000nm , and it can still wheelie at 300kmh lol.

My next step is to try to make the chassis a bit shorter so the car can flip itself :p. Its gonna be a pain though since i really dont know how to do that.

10. hog0005

hog0005
    Expand Collapse

Haha, nice, I might be able to help out with that, I was thinking about making a really short wheel base pickup for 4w4ing, but it would easily be adapted for flipping.
    Have you had a look for a SWB pickup, I think there's one on here somewhere

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice