Outdated Boeing PFD

Discussion in 'User Interface Apps' started by CarlosAir, Jun 23, 2015.

1. CarlosAir

CarlosAir
    Expand Collapse

BoeingPFD.png

This app is a simplified and adapted version of the Primary Flight Display of Boeing aircraft (mainly based on the 737NG ones).
    The features are listed in the image above. I don't rule out implementing more stuff into the app whenever it's possible.

I don't expect many people to use it, but I thought I'd share it in case there's at least someone interested out there :p.

Video:

You can check a live version of the app's svg here before downloading it lol.

Help/FAQ:

-I don't see the radio altimeter (RA) (the small black box inside the artificial horizon showing your height).
    Unfortunately, the radio altimeter will only work on some maps, if it's not showing up for you, you're probably on one of those unsupported maps. The radio altimeter is a WIP feature. If you really want the RA to work on a map where it doesn't, let me know and I'll help you, as it's quite easy task. Keep in mind the radio altimeter will only show up when below 2500 ft agl. on those maps were it's supported.
    Also, the RA, can be enabled/disabled by clicking on it.

-The artificial horizon doesn't rotate full 360 degrees.
    It's a limitation by the data provided by BeamNG, there's not much I can do about it without modifying BeamNG internal files. You are not supposed to bank/pitch that much anyway :p.

-The yellow "ground" mark on the altimeter doesn't correspond to the real ground where I am.
    That yellow mark is supposed to represent the elevation of the reference airport you are taking off or landing. This value can be changed:
    ·Open the command console and set it to CEF/UI - JS mode.
    ·Type HookManager.trigger("ChangeApAlt", **);
    ·Replace ** with your wanted elevation in feet.

-Will this app affect my FPS?
    Maybe :p, I haven't done any deep research, but it is not very optimized :p.

Installation:
    The new zip system in the mods folder doesn't work for apps unfortunately. Unzip the file below to your documents/mods folder.
    It should look like this: (Documents)/mods/html/apps/BoeingPFD/**content**
    Go to Options>Gamplay and "Enable Advanced functions" to enable the UI editor menu if you can't find it.

The aircraft it best fits is the B-25 Mitchell imo, but it can be used with any aircraft you want, or even with cars lol.

We are now closer to IFR flying in BeamNG :D.

If you have any questions regarding the data showed, or you want to make a suggestion, let me know, I'll try to help.

DO NOT RE-UPLOAD THE ZIP OR IT'S CONTENT

Attached Files:

#1 CarlosAir, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Gonna run out of thanks today :p

Really impressive app! :)

3. Spartacus

Spartacus
    Expand Collapse

I would certainly use it CarlosAir! It makes the flying experience more realistic in game. Thanks!:cool:

4. bigcrazycarboy

bigcrazycarboy
    Expand Collapse

Wow! thanks a LOT! This app will make the game 10x better! Especially when the jet airliners start comming out!

5. Bobmc757

Bobmc757
    Expand Collapse

Great! Just as seen on the 737NG and 777. Love it! Wouldn't it be cool if BeamNG became a full car and flight simulator?

• Like Like x 1
  6. CarlosAir

CarlosAir
    Expand Collapse

I dream of having fsx/x-plane instruments and systems + proper aerodynamics, all with beamng collision physics.
    That'd be the most awesome thing ever haha :p.
    Some day :D.

(+ map of the whole world)

7. bigcrazycarboy

bigcrazycarboy
    Expand Collapse

Haha, me too! I know how to get the meshes in X-Plane, FSX, and in GTA into a standard wavefront obj format. If you guys get serious about it, it will work!

8. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

Looks nice! Out of curiosity; how does it calculate the mach, height and speed values? 'Real' values translated using ISA values? (Is there a static pressure difference in BNG?)

9. CarlosAir

CarlosAir
    Expand Collapse

The exact formula I'm using to get the airspeed is the following in case you are interested -> (dot product of the vehicle velocity vector minus the wind vector) * (current pressure where the vehicle is / 1.225 in kg/m[SUP]3[/SUP])[SUP]2 [/SUP]
    Now, I must admit that I stole that from the default airspeed app that comes with beamng, and I've never paid attention to the formula until now :p, but it does indeed seem to be reporting the TAS according to an ISA atmosphere. So yeah, it seems pretty accurate, provided that I assume all beamng levels do have an ISA atmosphere.
    BeamNG does have a pressure difference throughout altitude, it was noted in this blogpost "· Work on atmospheric simulation, the air density/pressure will reduce as you go higher". You can definitely feel it's harder to get lift the higher you go, even propellers don't work. As I said, I assume they are using ISA gradients, why would they be using something else? :p

Mach is calculated taking into account the previously calculated airspeed and the speed of sound at the current altitude (code also stolen from the default app :p), again I assume it's based on an ISA atmospehere.

Height (agl) is simply the subtraction of the current z position in reference to the world (which is taken directly from the vehicle object data, as it's one of it's variable properties, so no maths involved in this) minus the elevation of the ground immediately below (this last bit is kind of hard to obtain, and this is why the heigh reading only works on some maps by default, and has problems like ignoring water bodies (sea) etc...).

I hope I kind of answered your question.

#9 CarlosAir, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  10. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah sure, thanks for the answer :p

I was just interested in the calculations, I've taken my Aero and A/C performance exams already a while ago :p

11. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

I cant get it towork

12. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

I can;'t get it to work

13. CarlosAir

CarlosAir
    Expand Collapse

The UI app system suffered some major changes in the new recent updates, which caused this app to become obsolete.
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the app back to working despite trying it. So yeah, sorry, but I am not able to promise you it'll ever come back. At least not until some documentation on the new UI app system is released or something like that.

14. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

Oh thanks for telling me! :)

15. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

Are you going to update/redo it do it works?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice